BIA take-over of "Blackfeet Police" at Browning

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Mon Feb 17 15:13:43 MST 2003

Dear Fiends,

Although the Tribal Council at Browning is, by most accounts of those who
live there, rotten to the core and the Tribal Police are for the most part
corrupt and illiterate thugs, this is not good news. Why? Because the very
corruption the BIA purports to be so concerned about is nothing new and has
gone on for many years with the most corrupt being darlings of the BIA.
Further, noting that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", some of
the corrupt ones are attempting to revitalize--read imitate--some of the
"traditional societies" (Eagle Claw Society; Crazy Dogs; Brave Dogs;
Ka-Mo-Tan; Horn Society) due to the influence and standing of the real
Traditionals and attempt to pose as "Traditionals" themselves; many of these
individuals have been corrupt whores of the BIA and the corrupt ones in
Browning for years.

But the good news is that the real Traditionals are gaining ground,
influence and numbers among the real grass-roots and rank-and-file
Blackfoot. That is really why the BIA has stepped in.

The ones who have been fired, instead of being put on trial for some of
their crimes, will instead be fixed-up with new jobs. That is the pattern at
Browning. Why? Because these traitors have all done so many corrupt and
Faustian deals with each other that each has enough on the others to take
them down with him or her; hence they all stick together or go down
together. This is also true of the BIA types who have tolerated--and
benefited from--this corruption for many years.

And now we hear the worst sell-outs now posturing about "loss of dignity"
with references to the 7th Calvery. Trust me, these types would have been
"Custer's Scouts" in the old days to which they opportunistically refer.

Jim Craven

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/stories/20030216/topstories/996311.htm

Sunday, February 16, 2003
BIA officials replace Blackfeet police
By SONJA LEE
Tribune staff writer

------

The U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs took over the tribal police department on
the
Blackfeet Indian Reservation Saturday, effectively firing more than 30
tribal
employees and staffing the department with BIA officials.
Blackfeet Tribal Secretary Gordon Monroe said the council was notified at
noon
that the BIA planned to take over the department.

By 2 p.m. more than 50 BIA officials were in Browning, and an hour later the
department's 37 tribal police officers, dispatchers and other staff members
were relieved of their duties.

"They were stripped of everything, including their dignity," Monroe said.
"It
was very unprofessional. You could almost hear the Seventh Cavalry coming
over
the hill. To me, we just went back in time about 120 years."

BIA officials were unavailable for comment. A dispatcher -- who answered the
department's phone Saturday evening by saying "BIA police department" --
said a
skeleton crew was on staff and no one was authorized to talk to the media.

Two years ago, a draft report by the BIA blasted the Blackfeet Law
Enforcement
Services for being influenced by tribal politicians, improperly hiring
staff,
incorrectly reporting cases and mismanaging budgets.

The Blackfeet Tribe became a self-policing reservation in 1995.

Monroe said the council has been trying to work with the BIA. "We've been
talking with them and addressing the problems," he said. "We felt we were on
the right track."

Titus Upham, a former council member, said he ! was traveling to Conrad when
he
saw 25 federal police vehicles in a row headed toward Browning. He said he
assumed the officers were on their way to the border for homeland security
measures, but when he returned to Browning, the BIA vehicles were all over
town.

Upham said the takeover is somewhat ironic. When the tribe took over the
police
department in the '90s, tribal members were upset with the BIA over the same
issues that the BIA is now upset over, he said.

Upham said he can see the pros and cons to the BIA having control. His
biggest
concern, however, is that 37 residents are now without employment.

"And the BIA doesn't always have a big enough force to serve the county," he
said.

The BIA does have more financial backing, he said. One problem has been the
Blackfeet tribal jail, which is in extremely bad condition; the tribal
council
has struggled to find money to upgrade the facility.

Monroe said the council, law-enforcement employees and the bureau will meet
at
9 a.m. Monday to discuss re-employment opportunities.