Turkey demands bigger payoff

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 18 07:44:35 MST 2003

(Amazing stuff. Sounds like a whore haggling over the price of a
blow-job with a john.)

NY Times, Feb. 18, 2003

Proposal by Turkey Stalls U.S. Bid to Use Its Bases
By DEXTER FILKINS with JUDITH MILLER

ISTANBUL, Feb. 17 — The Bush administration's plans for a northern front
against Iraq reached a critical point today, as Turkish leaders ruled
out a deal to allow American combat troops to use their country without
agreement first on a multibillion dollar economic aid package.

With time running out, a senior Turkish official said the government
would present its final offer to American diplomats tonight. If the Bush
administration agreed to the proposal, the official said, Parliament
would probably vote this week to allow American combat troops to use the
country as a base against Iraq.

If the Americans rejected the offer, the official said, Turkish leaders
would decline to put the question to Parliament this week. In all
likelihood, the Turkish official said, such a decision would mean that
the American plans for a northern front from Turkey would be all but dead.

"We are in a deadlock," the Turkish official said. "The American
deadline is very close. If our counteroffer is not accepted, then the
chances that we will put this to Parliament this week are very slim if
not zero."

Less than two weeks ago, it appeared that the American plan was inching
toward acceptance. The Turkish Parliament voted to allow hundreds of
American engineers to upgrade Turkish bases for possible use by American
troops.

Prime Minister Abdullah Gul said he would ask Parliament to open the
country's bases to thousands of American troops, and a final
parliamentary vote was scheduled for Tuesday.

But negotiations bogged down over the size of the aid package, officials
said, and today Mr. Gul said the vote would be postponed.

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/18/international/europe/18TURK.html

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org