Argentina, Iraq (Spanish with a note for Anglophones)

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Wed Feb 19 22:34:29 MST 2003

Juan

>>"El eslogan del Palacio San Martín podría sintetizarse 'estar en contra
el uso de la fuerza en Irak, más allá de que el Consejo de Seguridad lo
termine bendiciendo'. [...]"

The slogan from San Martin's Palace can be summed up as "to be against the
use of force in Iraq, whether or not the Security Council ends up giving it
its blessing.<<

Just checked the dictionary, which has mas alla as meaning "beyond" the
extent to which it gives its blessing, which is how I'd understood it. So
it wouldn't that just mean "we won't support force beyond what the UN
endorses"?

But I take it you're a native speaker, so I accept what you say. :-)

Thanks
Tom