Trends within Irish Republican Thought

D OC donaloc at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 20 05:04:17 MST 2003

I note Paul's query regarding internal debate. I attach the following
(cut-down) version of a speech delivered in Fermanagh by someone who might
be considered to be at the 'fore' of dominant thought in the RM. The
original speech included more of Declan's analysis of struggle - largely a
simplified explanation of the dialectical process and its impact on our
strategy. It is a pity that was excised as it was the more interesting
section and included much which interlinked with his previous writings on
'Beyond the Road Map'.

The crux of the speech was the need to reach out and challenge Unionism and
encourage Protestants to enter a pluralist Republic. This is a core
component of SF's strategy for reintegration. This might seem abcs to those
outside Ireland but reality is that this is a very radical speech to a
largely nationalist audience.

I will respond separately to Paul's mail and that going on currently from
Michael Keaney.

Is mise
DOC.

An Phoblacht/Republican News · Thursday 13 February 2003

National Reconciliation - A Strategic Imperative
BY DECLAN KEARNEY

One of the key functions of republican activism presently is to strike a
balance between a necessary and immediate preoccupation with the volatile
political context and direct threat to the integrity of the Good Friday
Agreement, and a long-term strategic perspective on building towards the
Republic. Whilst these two processes are indivisible, each necessarily
demands a dedicated focus.

The debate about the structure and complexion of a future republic is a
political discussion in which the entire republican family needs to be
involved. It has been this generation of republicans who have put up and
popularised the concept of a united Ireland, and we are the people
developing the sites of struggle to bring about conditions whereby this
vision can be realised. However, this is the phase in which we all need to
become involved in working out the detail of that vision.

Whether or not substantial political progress is made in the next two
months, activists need to be putting substance on our ambition to achieve a
united, democratic and pluralist Ireland. Our road map has to delineate how
a future republic will facilitate a multicultural, multiethnic and
multilingual society on this island. And then we need to begin to popularise
the detail of that vision north and south.

...snip... [Large sections detailing need to reach out to Protestants to
advance to unity]

A Political Revolution

Sinn Féin does not subscribe to the gombeenism that passes for politics in
our country. Our business is a political revolution, which seeks to
strategically mobilise the greater number of Irish people around the vision
of an Irish republic. We seek to achieve an Ireland, which becomes a role
model for other progressive peoples beyond our shores.

Our vision is of an Ireland that pioneers new standards of economic, social,
political equality and justice; an Ireland that celebrates and guarantees
cultural, linguistic and ethnic diversity; and, the dream fulfilled, of a
Republic that bears living testament to the unity of Catholic, Protestant
and Dissenter.

http://www.irlnet.com/aprn/current/news/13nati.html

Overloaded with spam? With MSN 8, you can filter it out
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=32&DI=1059