Hawks & Doves - Bush & Chirac the same side

Paddy Apling e.c.apling at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 24 19:37:41 MST 2003

Louis Proyect wrote 24 February 2003 23:24
> Yeah, it's useful to see how much Furedi's people have  degenerated.
Rather
> than using his bully pulpit at this mass-circulation daily to
> punish Blair and the warmakers, he gives the reader a little sermon on the
> need to take > risks. To write this kind of pop psychology on the eve of
> Armageddon  beggars description, especially when Hume and his mates used
to be > very  sharp critics of imperialism and weren't afraid to call the
system by > > the proper name and rally people to fight it.

Certainly one way of looking at it:  Hume is just standing on the fence, but
the criticism of the Chrax/Schroeder position stands - and this is NOT the
position the 1-2 million who marched on the 15th as he suggests.

Latest from Reuters on Blair's position:

Blair may face revolt

By Katherine Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Tony Blair could suffer a major revolt
from within the Labour Party after he lays out his hardline stance on
disarming Iraq before a divided parliament this week.

As Britain and the United States table a second United Nations resolution
which could set the stage for war against Iraq, Blair is set for a rough
ride when he addresses parliament on Tuesday and at a full debate and vote
on Wednesday.

With Labour split over a possible war and the public hostile to an attack,
the vote in the House of Commons could deal a further blow to Blair`s
precarious position at home over Iraq.

In a bid to skirt opposition to war, the government will carefully word the
debate`s motion to focus on Britain`s approach to dealing with Iraq through
the U.N., rather than asking parliament to support military action.

"Wednesday`s motion will confirm the commitment of the government and of the
House to our strategy of handling the Iraq crisis through the United
Nations," cabinet minister Robin Cook said on Monday.

Cook said the debate`s motion would neither be a "trap" nor an attempt to
fudge the issue but members of parliament (MPs) were already grumbling that
they were being set up.

"No MP need fear that support of it will be interpreted as support for any
specific military action," Cook told parliament.

In November, the Commons voted to support U.N. resolution 1441, which calls
on Saddam to disarm. Blair has interpreted that vote as broad parliamentary
backing for military action if Iraqi President Saddam Hussein fails to
cooperate.

Referring to November`s vote, Labour`s Donald Anderson said "the government
was seeking to put too much weight on that".

Up to 100 of Labour`s 410 MPs are believed to be mulling rebellion and some
120 MPs, mostly from Labour, have already signed up to a Commons motion that
puts four conditions on sending British forces to Iraq.

Those are that there is clear evidence that Iraq poses an imminent threat to
peace, that the House of Commons is allowed to authorise military action,
that any attack has U.N. backing and that all other policy options have been
exhausted.

That matches the stance of countries such as Germany, France and Russia who
want U.N. weapons inspectors and diplomacy to be given more time.

Labour MPs could table an amendment to Wednesday`s motion opposing military
action. Fortunately for Blair, the opposition Conservative Party are backing
his stance on Iraq and such an amendment would be defeated.

But it would still send a clear message to Blair who is aware that his once
soaring popularity and even his premiership could be on the line over Iraq.

Close to one million people demonstrated against war in London earlier this
month. And a Guardian newspaper/ICM poll last week showed Blair`s approval
rating had plummeted, with 55 percent of people disapproving of the way he
does his job.

----

Paddy
NFHS Member #5594