Timor

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 28 02:21:01 MST 2003

From:           	"Clinton Fernandes" <cfer at deakin.edu.au>
To:             	<marxism-digest at lists.panix.com>
Subject:        	Re: Timor
Date sent:      	Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:00:49 +1100
Send reply to:  	marxism at lists.panix.com

> When the Timorese were pleading for foreign intervention, it was distasteful
> to see people opposing their pleas from the comfort of Sydney and Melbourne.
> Those who opposed the deployment of troops to East Timor would have more
> credibility if they opposed it while living in East Timor, facing impending
> annihilation by the TNI.  Then, their denunciations of "Australian
> imperialism" would sound convincing - as well as make memorable last words.

  I don't know much about the whole history of East Timor. So,
pardon any ignorance that may come out in the question I'm about
to ask. But, from the little I have read on the topic (in particular
from Chomsky, who appears to have researched well), the
impression I get is that there had been a virtual black out by the
bourgeois press in their reports about the atrocities committed in
East Timor  up until 1999. Am I right? If so, then the question
becomes: why all the attention in 1999?

David