Jon Flanders' comments on January 18 demonstration

LouPaulsen LouPaulsen at attbi.com
Sat Jan 4 09:39:22 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Flanders" <Jon_Flanders at compuserve.com>
To: <marxism at lists.panix.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: Jon Flanders' comments on January 18 demonstration

> Lou,
>
>   We are not going to get too far with the discussion if we are going to
> construct straw-men like....
>
>  >Basically you have written off  Iraq.  You have concluded that we can't
stop the war,
> > and that Iraq is as  good as conquered now, so there is no sense in
"unrealistically"
> >acting as > if we could do anything about it; we should just go on about
our business of
> > movement-building, and plan ahead for the days of occupation.
>
>   I have done no such thing. It is entirely possible that a
> constellation of anti-war forces across the world may make the attack
> impossible. But we are in the United States, discussing what to do next.
> I do conclude that we should not base our actions on the "this will stop
> the war" mode of thinking.

I have at least as much ground for referring to your phrase '"this will stop
the war" mode of thinking' as a straw man argument, as you do for your
charge.  Where do I say that the January 18 demonstration "will stop the
war"?  In fact I recall saying that there is no way it could possibly stop
the war, -taken in isolation.-

However, since you grant the possibility that a "constellation of anti-war
forces across the world may make the attack impossible", then hadn't we
better be -part- of that constellation and do as much as we can as quickly
as possible?  That's what I'm saying.

LPa