Message to the moderator - Requests for receipts

Einde O'Callaghan einde.ocallaghan at planet-interkom.de
Sat Jan 4 17:53:32 MST 2003

Sorry to bother you, Louis, but something has just come to my attention
several times this evening while reading messages from the list

When reading messages from one individual, who I won't name at the
moment, I get a message saying that this person has requested a receipt
for the message. I see this as potentially an attempt to harvest the
names and email addresses of readers of this list.

As a matter of course I never permit my browser to send one of these
receipts, although I haven't selected the automatic refusal as I always
like to know when such a request has been made.

Since some people on this list may not have switched off the automatic
response facility - IIRC in Micro$oft applications the default position
is "respond automatically" - I regard this as a serious security risk.

Les, is there any technical way to switch off these requests? Or is it
possible to bounce messages containing such a request, like you can with
unsnipped messages or messages with attachments?

I would politely request the person concerned to desist. If this isn't
done then I'll have to ask that this person be excluded from the list.

Einde O'Callaghan