McDonalds in Havana?

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 6 06:32:54 MST 2003

Didn't notice it, but didn't know
it had been there. Maybe next
time I go. There are several
fast-food outlets open at the
depot 24-7, a Pain de Paris,
the joint venture between
Cuba and a French company.

I've been there three or four
times and never noticed any
ghosts of McDonalds...

Walter

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Schanoes" <dmsch at attglobal.net>
To: <marxism at lists.panix.com>
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 5:15 AM
Subject: Re: Another Winter's Day in Havana, 1-6-2003

Walter,

When you were at the bus station, did you happen the notice the half
completed, half ruined, total surrealist construction of the of  a
McDonald's.  The golden arches are there, old style, with I think a red and
white tile facade on the box shaped serving area.  Never could track down
the whole story.  Assumed it was started prior to 1/1/59 and suspended soon
after.

It makes quite an impression when you first stumble upon it.

If you can find out the real deal on it, I would appreciate it.

DMS