First Draft of Bush Speech

Jon Flanders Jon_Flanders at compuserve.com
Wed Jan 8 09:01:55 MST 2003

I was fortunate enough to obtain the first draft of the Bush speech
explaining his plans for the world and the economy. As you can see, it
differs somewhat from the speech that was actually given, although I
think it accurately reflects his administration's real views.

Yours in satire,

Jon Flanders

PRESIDENT BUSH:

Today in Washington a new Congress convenes, and I will ask members of
both parties to work with me to secure the fortunes of the wealthy and
powerful. We cannot be satisfied until every part of our economy funnels
a  healthy and vigorous stream of money into their pockets. We will not
rest until every business has a chance to grow its profits, and every
person who wants to find work can only find a job at greatly reduced
wages.

So today I'm announcing a growth and jobs plan to strengthen America's
wealthy elites; specific proposals to increase the momentum of their
economic dictatorship. And this is a good city to give it in. This is
one of America's great cities. There are lots of rich people here. And
one of the reasons why is because you have a great mayor in Richard
Daley. I appreciate the fact that he's willing to take time away from a
comfortable private life to serve our oligarchy. He is a strong addition
to a great economic team, and I want to thank him for his willingness to
serve us wealthy Americans. Thank you for coming, Steve.

I've also named two other good people to join this team. John Snow is my
nominee to loot as the secretary of Treasury. Bill Donaldson is my
nominee to organized the coverup at the chairman of the Securities and
Exchange Commission. They will fill essential positions in my
administration, and I urge the Congress to confirm them quickly.

As the new Congress meets today, our duties to this nation are clear. We
have an  imperial responsibility to meet great dangers to our corporate
empire wherever they gather. We will continue to hunt down the
protesters all across the world. Cell by cell,  we are disrupting their
plans. One by one, we're showing these misguided working people the
meaning of empire.

We're also organizing our outlaw regime  that lives by violence and
deception and is arming to threaten the civilized world and to attack
Iraq.

The world's demands are clear. For the sake of peace, George Bush must
disarm himself of all weapons of mass destruction and prove that he has
done so. Should he choose the other course, in the name of peace, the
increasingly frightened citizens around the world will lead a coalition
of the willing to disarm the Bush regime of weapons of mass destruction
and free the Iraqi people from his evil plans.

And we're dealing with North Korea as well. It's a regime that has
expelled international inspectors and is attempting to defy the world
through its nuclear weapons program.

The United States and other nations will confront this threat as well.
In this case, I believe that by working with countries in the region,
diplomacy will work. We have no aggressive intent, no argument with the
North Korean people. We're interested in peace on the Korean peninsula.
We are cowards who don't attack anyone who could fight back and hurt us.

As we deal with the dangers of our time, different circumstances require
different strategies. Yet, our resolve in each case will be clear. We
will not permit any regime to threaten the freedom and security of the
wealthy American's who support me, or our elite allies and friends
around the world.

Even as we confront these dangers, you need to know I know we have needs
here at home, especially the need for a vigorous and growing economy.
Too many Americans today are wondering about our economy; they're
asking, how is the economy really doing? For working people it sucks.
Well, the American economy is the strongest and most resilient economy
in the world for the rich. In spite of the terrible shocks that our
nation has received, our rich people are growing richer, and the their
class conscious spirit in America is strong.

We've made great progress these past two years, remembering the summer
of 2000, during the presidential campaign, the market had started on a
steady decline. Job growth started to dwindle. The economy had begun to
slow. When I took office, the signs of recession were real. So, I worked
with the United States Congress to reduce income taxes for the rich who
don't pay them anyway if they have good lawyers. More than 100 million
individuals, families and sole proprietorships received sham tax relief
that amounted to nothing. As PT Barnum noted, suckers are born every
minute.

This tax relief was the largest in a generation, and it gave the the
rich a boost just at the right time, ensuring that the recession will
never end for our workers.

 Wealthy Americans should be able to count on those tax cuts as they
plan their financial futures. So I will continue to press the Congress
to make these tax cuts, including the end of the inheritance tax,
permanent. (Applause.) We know that the tax cuts work for the rich, and
these deserving Americans deserve to know their tax cuts will not be
taken away.

We faced a second test with the attacks of September the 11th, 2001.
These attacks caused terrible suffering and a massive disruption of the
economy. Flights were cancelled. Many hotels and stores were empty.
Stock trading was halted for nearly a week. So we acted. We reopened the
markets. We bailed out big corporations We helped the people of New York
City recover by waving flags. We assisted the airlines by forcing worker
layoffs. We provided tax incentives for the rich. And we passed
terrorism insurance so building and real estate moguls could go forward
to their next boondoggle.

And then our economy was tested a third time when Americans discovered
serious abuses of trust by some corporate leaders. So we passed historic
reforms to assure corporate integrity to the elite; to slap the wrists
of a few lackeys, and defend the interests of  rich investors. Corporate
greed and malfeasance caused innocent people to lose their jobs, their
savings, and, often, their confidence in the American system. For the
sake of justice, and for the sake of every honest business in America, I
have made this commitment: Corporate misdeeds will not be investigated,
they will be minimally prosecuted, and they will be punished by a few
months at a country club prison.

We have met the tests before us because the working American people have
worked hard through difficult times. And now our country has entered its
second year of economic stagnation. Our trade with other nations is
hemorraging, bringing lower prices that come from imports, and fewer
jobs that come from exports.

More Americans are going into debt buying and building houses -- a
central part of the American dream. The homeownership rate is now 68
percent, thanks to DiTech.com -- close to the highest ever. Low interest
rates have allowed Americans to tap the rising value of their homes.
Many can expect to lose these homes as we continue to savage the
workers.

And those obstacles are clear: Many jobs are lost in America because
government imposes unreasonable laws against labor and many jobs are
lost because the law suit culture of this country imposes unreasonable
costs on our long-suffering rich people. (Applause.)

I will continue to press for legal and regulatory reform, but today --
today I want to talk about these concerns:  wealthy Americans carry a
heavy burden of taxes and debt that could slow consumer for  spending
for mansions and Swiss bank accounts. I'm troubled by that. I'm also
troubled by the fact that our tax system unfairly penalizes some
productive investments. And I worry about people who are out of work;
they need our help, both in short-term benefits and long-term
opportunity. By directly confronting each of these challenges, by
forcing workers to work for less, we can preserve the hard-won gains our
economy has made and advance toward greater prosperity.

Our first challenge is to allow my rich friends to keep more of their
money so they can spend, and save and invest. Their  individual
decisions  support the market, support business and help create low-wage
jobs. Consumer spending accounts for about 70 percent of our economy; it
has been the driving force of our recovery. Yet, there are warning signs
or worker unrest I won't ignore, and I hope the Congress doesn't ignore
either. We must pass more repressive legislation to contain this unrest.

Many working class Americans live in constant and increasing personal
debt, with credit card bills so heavy they often cannot pay much more
than the monthly minimum. Millions of citizens spend their entire adult
lives living paycheck to paycheck, never getting a chance to save for
their children's education or their own retirement. Americans today are
paying about a third of their income in taxes. All of this puts pressure
on family budget, and therefore clouds our economic future. We want to
keep it this way.

Working Americans facing these struggles are due to receive very little
additional tax relief in 2004, and again in 2006. Republicans and
Democrats in Congress already approved these tax rate reductions for the
rich, and the time to deliver the tax rate reductions is now, when they
can do the most good for the rich. For the sake of the wealthy's
vitality, I'm asking Congress to make all the tax rate reductions
effective this year. (Applause.)

And the tax cuts should be retroactive to January 1st. (Applause.) Upon
passage, I'll order the Treasury Department to immediately adjust the
amount of money withheld for income taxes so that working class
Americans will keep a couple of bucks of their paychecks right away and
continue to ignore their exploitation.

By speeding up income tax cuts, we will speed up the devastation of
state and local budgets. If tax relief is good enough for rich
Americans three years from now, it is good enough for rich Americans
today.

An additional beneficiary of this tax cut will not be small businesses.
About 30 million Americans include small-business income when they file
their individual tax returns with the IRS. Faster tax relief will do
little to help these businesses to expand sooner, to hire new people
faster, and to build a stronger foundation for the recovery.

We also know that middle-income families need additional relief. We need
a few meaningless gestures to cover our butts. So today I'm asking
Congress to speed up three other tax reductions promised in 2001, tax
reductions that will help our middle-income families. Instead of slowly
reducing the marriage penalty until 2009, we should do it now, to help
35 million married couples. Instead of waiting until 2008 to move more
taxpayers from the 15 percent bracket to the lowest bracket of 10
percent, we should make that change now and help 2 million working
Americans.

And instead of gradually raising the child tax credit from $600 to a
thousand dollars per child by the year of 2010, for the benefit of 26
million families, we should raise it now. (Applause.)

These tax reductions will bring minimal benefits to middle-income
Americans. Ninety-two million Americans will keep an average of $1,083
more of their own money. A family of four, with two earners and $39,000
in income, will receive more than $1,100 in tax relief. Real money to
help pay the bills and push the economy forward. If they have jobs once
we are done.  And the sooner Congress acts, the sooner the sham will be
in place.

Taken together, these income tax cuts will put an additional $70 billion
to work in the private economy over the next 18 months. This is a drop
in the bucket compared to what I propose to spend for the oil industry
in attacking Iraq. And there's no better way to help our economy to grow
than to leave more money in the hands of the men and women who didn't
earn it.

Our second challenge is to encourage greater investment by wealthy
individuals and small businesses, the kind of investing that builds
personal wealth and helps a company expand and lay off more workers.

We are increasingly a nation of debtors who invest for retirement and
the other financial challenges of life only to see their 401ks
evaporate. One-half of American households own  a few shares of stock,
either directly or through pension funds. And we have an obligation to
make sure, now more than ever, that only wealthy American investors are
treated fairly. We can begin by treating investors unfairly and
unequally in our tax laws. As it is now, many investments are taxed not
once, but twice. First the IRS taxes a company on its profit, then it
taxes the wealthy investors who receive the profits as dividends. The
result of this double taxation is that for all the profit a company
earns, rich shareholders who receive dividends keep as little as 40
cents on the dollar.

Double taxation is bad for our economy. Double taxation is wrong. Double
taxation falls especially hard on rich people. About half of all
dividend income goes to America's wealthy seniors, and they often rely
on those checks for a steady source of income in their retirement. It's
not fair to tax a company's profits. It's not fair to double tax by
taxing the shareholder on the same profits. Taxes on rich people are
bad, bad, bad!!!

So today, for the good of our wealthy citizens, and to support capital
formation across the land, I'm asking the United States Congress to
abolish the double taxation of dividends.

The benefits of this tax relief will be felt throughout the oligarchy.
Abolishing double taxation dividends will leave nearly 35 million
Americans with more of their own money to spend and invest. This will
promote savings, and return as much as $20 billion this year to the
private economy.

By ending this investment penalty, we will strengthen oligarchic
confidence. See, by ending double taxation of dividends, we will
increase the return on investing, which will draw more money into the
markets to provide capital to build factories in poor third world
countries, to buy equipment, hire more wage slaves.

We must also encourage the investments that help turn small businesses
into larger ones. Small businesses create the majority of new low wage
jobs in America, and they account for half the output of the economy.
Currently, tax law permits small firms to write off as expenses up to
$25,000 worth of equipment, might -- computers or machinery that they
need. I'm asking the Congress to raise that limit to $75,000 and index
that number for inflation. This change, together with the faster rate
reductions, will benefit more than 23 million small-business owners.
More importantly, it will benefit the largest corporations, which always
hide behind measures claimed to benefit the little guy. My view is this
economy can thrive only if our big corporations thrive, and we will
provide them every incentive to grow and create more shitty non-union
jobs.

A third challenge facing our country is the need to help unemployed
workers and prepare them for the low wage jobs of a growing economy. The
unemployment rate today is 6 percent. It's low for an economy coming out
of a recession. It's higher than it should be. And the unemployment rate
is projected to rise even further in the short run. This does have a
positive aspect. It forces people to take lower wage jobs.

This  hardship is concentrated in certain regions and in certain
industries. Manufacturing jobs have declined for 28 months in a row. You
know what I'm talking about here in the Midwest. You're showing signs of
recovery here, yet many people here and across this country are still
looking for work. Too bad they don't have the friends that I have.

A woman in Arkansas tells a typical story. She talked about the fact
that her husband was laid off from his job at a local steel mill, and
both she and her husband have been looking for a job for quite a while.
Here's what she said: ``There's just nothing for me to find. We're
trying to save up what little money we have and move to another
community and look for jobs there.'' I know how that feels; this
happened to me after I left Harken Energy.

You've got to be worried about those kinds of stories here in America.
Too many poor people might mean growing anger at us rich people. As we
encourage long-term growth, we will not forget the men and women who are
struggling today. Close to 70,000 workers each week exhaust their
unemployment benefits, and we have an obligation to appear to help our
fellow citizens. So I'm asking this new Congress to extend unemployment
benefits that expired on December the 28th. And the benefits Congress
approves should be retroactive, like the Fitzgerald bill, so that people
who lost their benefits last month can receive their benefits in full. I
have to say this, but my Republican supporters in Congress will make
sure it doesn't happen. Helping America's unemployed workers should be a
first order of business in this new Congress, and it looks like it's not
going to be.

We must be more creative when we help those who have the hardest time
finding work. To encourage innovation and more choices and to help those
who are out of work find the dignity of a new job, today I'm unveiling a
new approach to helping unemployed Americans through personal
re-employment accounts. Under this new program, Americans will face --
who face the greatest difficulties in finding work will receive up to
$3,000 to use in their job search. They will have great flexibility in
how they use that money. A person with a reemployment account will be
able to decide whether to use the funds for job training, or child care,
or transportation or even to cover the costs of relocating to another
city for a new job. If a job is obtained quickly, within 13 weeks, the
worker will be able to keep the cash balance as a reemployment bonus. Of
course the fine print will make sure they accept a job at lower wages
than they had previously.

As we seek new economic growth, we will need desperate well-trained
workers to fill new jobs. So I'm going to ask the Congress to provide
$3.6 billion to the states to pay for the reemployment accounts, enough
money to help more than a million unemployed men and women across
America. This is a token amount designed to make it look like we care.

In order to strengthen this economy in the future we must help these
Americans today. The job and growth proposals I've outlined today are a
focused plan to encourage consumer to go deeper in debt, to promote
small business indebtedness, to boost the number of small investors to
get fleeced in our markets and to give little help to unemployed
citizens. Overall, this growth package will reduce the tax burden of
the richest Americans by $98 billion this year, and $670 billion over
the next decade. I proposed a bold plan because the need for this plan
is urgent. And I urge the Congress to act swiftly and pass this bill.
With all these tax cuts for the wealthy, the country will be bankrupt as
we proceed with our imperial military project.

Our nation has seen two years of serious and steady challenges. The
recession and the decline in the stock market slowed earnings and cut
into tax revenues and created a budget deficit. And in this time of war,
I can assure you, this government is spending what is necessary to keep
this war going forever. Working people must just make do, fend for
yourselves and pay your taxes.

But the Congress must also understand this. The American people deserve
and expect spending discipline in Washington, D.C. (Applause.) With
spending and discipline and with pro-growth policies, we will wreck the
economy and expand this deficit.

This growth and jobs package is essential in the short run. It's an
immediate boost to the rich. And these proposals will help stimulate
investment and put more people back to work -- is what we want to have
happen as long as the wages are lower than the past. They're essential
for the long run as well, to lay the groundwork for future growth and
future prosperity for the few. That growth will bring the added benefit
of higher revenues for the oil wars, revenues that will keep tax rates
low on the rich while fulfilling key obligations and destroying programs
such as Medicare and Social Security.

We're meeting the challenges to wealthy America. We're strengthening our
oiligarchy, and we're taking a battle to the poor of the world. And
we're not going to leave our work half-finished. In the months ahead, we
will confront every threat to the safety and security of the rich. We'll
press on. We'll turn our recovery into lasting growth and opportunity
that reaches every mansion of America. By the courage and by the
enterprise of the American people, the few will prosper, and there's no
doubt in my mind that the wealthy ruling class will prevail.

May God bless you all, you're going to need divine help! and may God
bless  the American elite.