Satire is dead part 2: Lies, damned lies, and Bush/Blair press statements

Einde O'Callaghan einde.ocallaghan at planet-interkom.de
Fri Jan 10 03:40:24 MST 2003

LouPaulsen wrote:

> I swear to God, I don't know whether I'm reading Yahoo News or theonion.com
> or a Dave Barry column these days.  The "Spirit of Strom Thurmond" surely
> has a "this can't really be happening, can it?" feel to it.  And then we
> have the following report from the Associated Press, which could be
> cut-and-pasted into The Onion without changing hardly a word.

<snip>

> "The problem with guns that are hidden is you can't see their smoke," said
> Ari Fleischer (news - web sites), press secretary to President Bush.  "A gun
> also could be made of glass and hidden in a goldfish bowl full of water, or
> rendered invisible by a Romulan cloaking device."

This is unbelievable. I don't think these guys are living in the same
universe as the rest of us. If they weren't the rulers of the most
powerful nation on earth the men in white coats would be coming with
strait-jackets to take them away as a danger to themselves and to
others.

Einde O'Callaghan