The George Ryan mystery

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Jan 12 06:01:57 MST 2003

The simplest explanation for Governor Ryan's action may be
that given his personal political situation, he realized that
he nothing more to lose from doing the right thing
and so he went and did it.  Certainly unusual behavior from a
politician but such behavior has been occasionally been known to occur.

One is reminded perhaps of Governor John Peter Altgeld who
in 1893 pardoned the remaining prisoners who had been
falsely convicted of the 1886 bombing, known as the
Haymarket Massacre.  In the case of Governor Altgeld
though, he signed the pardons, knowing that it would
likely end his political career, which proved to the
case when he was defeated in his bid for re-election
in 1896.

Jim F.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com