Oil and overproduction 3

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 12 13:54:29 MST 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, David Schanoes wrote:
> Are resources finite?  Of course.  But so is your bank account, and its your
> cash flow that determines when you eat, not the availability of the food.
>
> And I hope that I never indicated that those who disagree with my analysis
> or don't understand it completely are simple-minded.

David, as I've told you privately, we have higher standards of scholarship
than most email lists. I would urge you number one to concentrate on the
facts and let others draw their own conclusions. For example, when Mark
pointed out to you that the Kazakh oil fields were overhyped, I checked
this out on Lexis-Nexis and discovered numerous articles indicating
that Western oil companies were retreating from this venture. We need less
rhetoric and more information upon which an intelligent conclusion can be
based.

Secondly, I am under the distinct impression that you are not familiar
with the Marxist ecology analysis put forward by a number of thinkers,
from John Bellamy Foster to James O'Connor. This list is engaged with this
literature and it doesn't help to characterize discussion of natural
limits as Mad Max, etc. Try and stay focused otherwise I might have to
request that you write about other topics that you have more of a
scholarly grounding in.