Oil and Overproduction

Mark Jones markjones011 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 07:28:42 MST 2003

Jon Flanders wrote:

> <Releasing free H2 from water requires more energy input than is
> contained in the H2 thus released. Where will this energy come from?>
>
> Mark,
>
>   Are you saying that if, say, the current excess electricity that is
> being generated by Danish windpower were set to producing hydrogen,
> nothing would be gained?
>
>   I understand that this is one avenue that is being explored at
> present.

I'm not saying nothing would be gained by using H2 to store solar energy
captured by windmills (wind and wave energy counts as products of influxes
of solar energy, like photosynthesis produced by sunlight does)but only that
H2 is not a primary source of energy, as hydrocarbons are. H2 is just a
carrier. H2 pumped thru a pipeline carries energy in the same way that
electrons pumped down a high tension wire carry energy which first has to be
converted from some primary fuel.

No doubt wind energy will be important in the future but it will always be
very marginal. I can post on this if necessary, would rather not right now.
Hydrogen is expensive to handle and requires a whole new infrastructure, the
energy cost of building which would have to come from existing fossil fuel
energy of course.

mark