Peace Rally Today, 11am!

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 18 16:46:37 MST 2003

11:00am Sunday 19 January
Contact: FANG Fremantle Anti-Nuclear Group
Ring us on 0417 123 774
freofang at yahoo.com.au
www.seaswap.org/  Parliament House, Perth

Why are we being dragged into a war against the people
of Iraq?
Do we want Perth to end up as a US Naval base in the
middle of a war?
Our rally is timed to coincide with the massive
anti-war demonstrations being planned in the US this
January 18.

The Western Australian Government has invited the US
to dramatically upgrade the presence of US military
forces in WA.

The so-called “sea swap” programme is the first stage
of the militarisation of WA. This involves flying
crews of warships in and out of the US to meet ships
here so that the vessels can stay at sea longer. The
programme began in January 2003.

This is intended to result in a major maintenance and
repair facility in Cockburn Sound at the Australian
Marine Complex. Use of the Lancelin Defence Training
Area for aerial and naval bombing is part of the
package.

These efforts have nothing to do with promoting peace
or democracy on our troubled planet. The current US
government is engaged in preparations for a brutal war
in the Middle East aimed at securing Iraq’s oil
reserves and installing a subservient government in
Baghdad. This crude, self-interested bullying may
cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.
For some reason the Australian government is playing
along as if there was no alternative.

If you think we all deserve better from our leaders,
be at Parliament House on Sunday January 19, 11am.
Bring the whole family!

Why are we being dragged into a war against the people
of Iraq?

Do we want Perth to end up as a US Naval base in the
middle of a war?

Peace is possible. Make it happen

=====
"We are going to inherit the earth, there is not the slightest doubt about that.  The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history.  We carry a new world, here, in our hearts.  That world is growing this minute." -
    - Buenventura Durruti

http://au.profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal