Deflation question

Charles Brown BrownBingb at aol.com
Tue Jan 21 10:43:58 MST 2003

Charles B: I believe progressive economists hold that deflation is actually
ultimately bad for the working class , too, ( like inflation) but I wonder if
Michael Perelman or somebody could give a brief reiteration of why it is. I
know how depression/recession is bad for workers, but why are drops in prices
bad ? Wasn't stagflation worse than recession + prices falling ?

Also, isn't the term "inflation" sometimes used to refer to an economic
expansion , not just a general price rise ?  I believe Mark Jones uses it
this way.

&&&&

From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>
Subject: Deflationary pressures?

NY Times Business Section, Jan. 19, 2003
A Sinking Feeling at the Register
By DAVID LEONHARDT

ONE year ago, a 50-inch Hitachi television cost $1,400 at Circuit City. It
costs $1,000 today.

-clip-