Orwell: "I have never been able to dislike Hitler"

Barry Brooks durable at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 10:48:33 MST 2003

>...Hitler, it seems,
> "grasped the falsity of the hedonistic attitude to life," which Orwell
> called the attitude of "nearly all Western thought since the last war,
> certainly all 'progressive' thought." This response—the idea that fascism,
> whatever might be wrong with it, is at least about the necessity of
> struggle and self-sacrifice—is not that far from the response of the
> relatively few people in England (there were more in France) who actively
> endorsed fascism.

Any functional system must care for both the needs of the group and the
individual.  Any system which is biased by sacrifice or hedonism can not
function well, because both are basic for practical reasons.  A functional
system must meet only two requirements: It must please the individual and the
group must not self-destruct. (My suggested definition.)

Orwell was right to be inconsistent because, we could save our hedonism with a
little self-sacrifice.

Barry