Comparing two movements

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Wed Jan 22 18:58:42 MST 2003

At 10:01  23/01/03 +1100, Tom wrote:
> >>6. MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE LEFT IS UNITED AROUND THE CENTRAL DEMANDS OF
> NO WAR
>AND NO SANCTIONS.<<
>
>Yes here also. And seemingly also on the basis of "stuff the United  Nations".
>Apparently the local coalition agreed that the next rally would not have any
>speakers except those who ruled out support for ANY war, even with UN backing.

This is very heartening.  Actually I am astonished that as many as one in
three oppose the war on any grounds.  As I have said before the UN position
is not monolithic.  I expect that as the UN weakens then the pro-UN  bloc
will split and a large per centage will join the true anti-war camp.

I think the key to understanding this al is that it is respectable to be
anti-war. Dona Nobis Pacem is indeed a noble sentiment. Besides there is a
long history in ?Australia of opposing over seas adventures.

regards

Gary