An anti-racist peace movement

Jacob Levich jlevich at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 22 20:04:49 MST 2003

At 01:31 PM 1/23/2003 +1100, you wrote:
> >>The Black Commentator, which is getting tougher and  better all the tim<<
>
>I just went there. It looks terrific. Can you tell us some background about
>it, like who produces it and what are their politics?

Pasting some info below. My impression of Black Commentator's POV is that
it's a bit like Counterpunch -- leftist but not (overtly) Marxist,
toughminded, and often very funny.

jake

About The Black Commentator (excerpts)

The Black Commentator's core audience is African Americans and their allies
in the struggle for social and economic justice. It is also important to
share Black American perspectives with the rest of the world, a mission
uniquely suited to the Internet.

Our focus is commentary, analysis and investigation, elements of political
dialogue that are absolutely essential to the creation of movements for
social change. Without regular forums for advocacy and debate, a people are
at the mercy of their adversaries. ...

The co-publishers of The Black Commentator are Glen Ford and Peter Gamble.
They have been friends and collaborators on various media projects for
nearly 30 years since working together as network broadcast journalists in
Washington, D.C.

In 1977 Glen and Peter created America's Black Forum, the first nationally
syndicated Black news interview program on commercial television. Under
their guidance, ABF was quoted weekly by national and international news
organizations. A feat no other Black news entity has accomplished, before
or since.

Glen Ford served as Capitol Hill, State Department and White House
correspondent, and Washington Bureau Chief for the Mutual Black Network,
where he also delivered daily radio commentaries. He also created the
national radio syndication Black Agenda Reports, featuring five daily
programs on Black History, Women, Business, Sports and Entertainment,
produced the national radio series Black History Through Music, and founded
Rap It Up, the first national Hip Hop radio show. He has been a newsperson
at many local radio stations.

  In print, Ford was political columnist for Encore, the Black news
magazine, served as editorcand reporter for a number of newspapers, and
published Africana Policies and, with Peter Gamble and Susan Gamble, The
Black Commentator magazine.
He is author of The Big Lie: Analysis of U.S. Press Coverage of the Grenada
Invasion. (International Organization of Journalists, 1985). ...

Full document: http://www.blackcommentator.com/about_us.html