Manufacturing fatness.....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 24 02:36:35 MST 2003

> BMJ 2003;326:229 ( 25 January )
>
> Reviews
> Book
>
> Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in
the World
> Greg Critser
> Houghton Mifflin, $24, pp 232
> ISBN 0 618 16472 3
>
> Fred Charatan, retired geriatric physician.
>
> James O Hill, a physiologist at the University of
Colorado's Health
Sciences
> Center, once said that becoming obese was "a normal
response to the
American
> environment." Greg Critser, a reduced fatso himself,
sets out to
explore
this
> claim. Using many of the findings about obesity in
America that have
appeared
> in the media in the last few years, he begins by
asking, "What has
changed
in
> the environment to allow the inclination toward
overweight and
obesity to
> express itself?"
>
> Critser faults Earl Butz, US secretary of
agriculture under President
Richard
> Nixon, who in the 1970s delivered everything that
the modern American
consumer
> had wantedplenty of cheap, abundant, and tasty
calories. Butz
achieved
this by
> vastly increasing corn production, thereby boosting
the manufacture
of
high
> fructose corn syrup used in sweetening cola drinks.
New technologies
> transformed cheap imports of palm oil, called by its
competitors
"tree
lard,"
> into a viable commercial fat, one fit for everything
from frying
chips to
> making margarine to baking cookies and bread and
pies. Food prices
came
down,
> and fast food purveyors seeking higher profits
quickly introduced
> "super-sizing" of portions ("value meals")12 ounce
Cokes, the Big
Mac, and
> jumbo fries. Consumers were easily seduced into
buying more for less.

> Full text
> http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7382/229

=====
"We are going to inherit the earth, there is not the slightest doubt about that.  The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history.  We carry a new world, here, in our hearts.  That world is growing this minute." -
    - Buenventura Durruti

http://au.profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal