Americanism is 21st Century Fascism

Charles Brown BrownBingb at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 18:15:40 MST 2003

Screed

By Jeremy Voas , editor of Metro Times

"I will have a foreign-handed foreign policy."
-George W. Bush, September 2000

The voice on the phone is a study in controlled passion, thoughtful and
determined. Its tone moderates between humor and vitriol, resignation and
defiance.

It belongs to Mark Crispin Miller, a New York University professor of media
studies who is among George W. Bush's most eloquent detractors.

I'll be disappointed if the National Security Administration, the FBI and the
Department of Homeland Security don't have fat dossiers on Miller.

Miller contends that Dubya is unworthy of his post, a fraud whose political
survival is wholly dependent on an illusion of strength and rectitude. He
believes our president is incapable of cogent leadership, and therefore
dangerous.

"… [T]o snicker at this president for his stupidity is not productive, for
his unfitness really isn't funny - and in any case, he isn't stupid. True, he
is the most ignorant president in U.S. history, probably the most illiterate,
and easily among the least concerned about the contents of his mind," Miller
writes in his book, The Bush Dyslexion: Observations on a National Disorder
($15.95, W. W. Norton & Co., 370 pp.).

Miller's tome first rolled off the press in June 2001. In the aftermath of
Sept. 11, however, and of the mainstream media's rush to remake Bush into the
Lion of Crawford, Miller updated Dyslexicon. The new version debuted in
paperback in July.

The interval between first publication and second only reinforced his theory
that Dubya is a man filled with blind, Nixonian rage. And the stakes have
grown exponentially.

When he conceived the book, Miller expected it to be a more mirthful
examination of Bush's spectacular malapropisms. But after parsing nearly
every utterance issued by Dubya's tortured tongue in the past decade, Miller
noticed a disturbing trend:

Bush's gibberish disappears when he speaks of aggression. When he speaks of
virtually anything else, however, he turns back into a blithering dunderhead.

Even the liberal intelligentsia is loath to embrace Miller's hypothesis.

"People get very angry at me when I say this. They want him to be a moron,
they want him to be someone they feel superior to," Miller tells me. "If you
read the book, you must acknowledge the fact that on certain subjects Bush is
perfectly lucid.

"He has continued to stumble when he tries to sound idealistic and continues
to speak with relative coherence when the theme is punishment, revenge or
death.

"His comfort with tough talk is not evidence of any particular skill as
commander in chief. All it really tells us is that he likes to strike that
posture, he likes to thump his chest and make threats. I don't think that's
good enough."

Miller's treatise goes a long way toward articulating my own incredulity at
the nation's trajectory. I watch TV pundits yammer for an hour without ever
broaching the possibility that Bush's determination to attack Iraq is
ludicrous, unjust and counterproductive. I marvel at the contortions these
seemingly intelligent, informed people undergo in order to eschew their duty
to scrutinize. For them, war is a foregone conclusion - nothing can stop it.

the rest at http://www.metrotimes.com/