Walter Lowenfels

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 27 17:27:43 MST 2003

I was interested and pleased to see Noyma Appelbaum's good words for Walter
Lowenfels.  Although I never did meet him, I read much of his work and
certainly knew of him.  I published in Mainstream when its literary quality
was high under the editorship of Charles Humboldt -- and read the journal
extensively -- and Lowenfels'  fine contributions were often featured
therein.  He was also, I should add, a very close friend of one of the
oldest and dearest friends of my wife, Eldri, and me -- the late radical
[and essentially Southern] poet, John Beecher [In Egypt Land, To Live and
Die in Dixie, Hear the Wind Blow! and many other works.]  John and his wife,
Barbara, knew Walter Lowenfels very well over a long period and held him and
his courage and his work in highest regard.

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear]
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'