Running dry

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Tue Jan 28 15:57:19 MST 2003

The Green Left article makes some good points. Coming at it from a slightly different
angle (and perhaps overlapping but I'm not sure) there is now pressure from
various directions for "fuel reduction", which means getting rid of everything
burnable lying on the forest floor. People imagine this will reduce the speed
and power of the fires. In reality it won't do that -- the fires will still
race through the place in an utterly terrifying fashion because the eucalyptus
trees are full of oil -- but it will destroy forest habitats.

Then the forests become just another timber-generating device, so no need for
"locking up" trees in national parks any more, eh? No wonder right wing politicians
and logging companies like this line of argument.

The fires are a natural phenomenon on a dry continent. What makes them a disaster
is capitalist human social organisation and its damaging interaction with nature.
Attempts to suppress the fires will just make this disaster worse.

At least that's how I understand it, though I'm on a learning curve in this
area.