VETS' PETITION AGAINST IRAQ WAR

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 29 07:22:13 MST 2003

     Note by Hunterbear:

     I'm putting this petition through one more time.  Note that, in
addition to the
     section for veterans' signatures, there is also one for veterans'
family members.
     It's  a petition that's getting Big -- fast.

    VETERANS AGAINST THE IRAQ WAR

      *****   Veterans Against The Iraq War

      Dear Veteran:

      With the prospect of a major war looming just over the horizon, and
      the threats of more suffering from violence growing, the times are a
      changing -- for the worse!

      If you are convinced that a U.S. invasion of Iraq is wrong, then you
      are confronted with a choice: You can ignore the growing crisis,
      dismiss it as another political conflict beyond your influence, or
      you can try to stop a war. You can band together with other veterans
      and give voice to what all of us know is wrong: a war with Iraq.

      While others pontificate and theorize about war, veterans know about
      its realities. The present Administration is led by men and women who
      chose not to go into the military and today have little understanding
      of war and no comprehension of its consequences. They do not know
      what you know, or feel what you feel. For all too many of them, war
      is little more than an abstract exercise in geopolitics.

      Whether you fought in a war, performed your duty in a support
      capacity or served our nation during a time of peace, it's all the
      same: America needs you, again! Whether you are liberal,
      conservative, libertarian, centrist, green or whatever -- our country
      needs you. Once, you put your body on the line in the service of our
      nation. You can now serve our nation with your experience and your
      wisdom.

      This website will be a source for information and analysis, and in
      the coming weeks, a robust forum for discussion and debate. Please
      read the Statement of Purpose below, if you agree with it, fill out
      the form and submit. There is a separate form for family members.
      When Congress returns in January, this Statement with the list of
      signatories will be delivered to Congress and disseminated to the
      media.

      Stewart Nusbaumer
      Igor Bobrowsky
      Jan Barry

      Statement of Purpose

      Veterans Against The Iraq War is a coalition of American veterans who
      oppose war with Iraq.

      Until and unless the current U.S. Administration provides evidence
      which clearly demonstrates that Iraq or any other nation poses a
      clear, immediate danger to our country, we oppose all of the
      Administration's pre-emptive and unilateral military and diplomatic
      activities geared towards provoking or initiating a military conflict
      with Iraq. Furthermore, we cannot support any war that is initiated
      without a formal Declaration of War by Congress, as our Constitution
      requires.

      Although we detest the dictatorial policies of Saddam Hussein and
      sympathize with the tragic plight of the Iraqi people, we oppose
      unilateral and pre-emptive U.S. military intervention on the grounds
      that it would establish a dangerous precedent in the conduct of
      international affairs, that it could easily lead to an increase of
      violent regional instability and the spread of a much wider conflict,
      that it would place needless and unacceptable financial burdens on
      the American people, that it would further divert us from addressing
      critical domestic priorities, and that it would distract us from our
      stated goal of destroying international terrorists and their lairs.

      Furthermore, Veterans Against The Iraq War does not believe the
      American military can or should be used as the police-force of the
      world by any Administration, Republican or Democrat. Consequently, we
      believe that the lives and well-being of our nation's soldiers,
      sailors, airmen and marines should not be squandered or sacrificed
      for causes other than the direct defense of our people and our nation.

      Finally, we believe that a pre-emptive and unilateral US military
      attack on Iraq would be illegal, unnecessary, counterproductive and
      present a truly dire threat to our vital international interests and
      basic national security. As military veterans, we have a unique
      understanding of war and know the many hidden truths that lie behind
      easy theories and promises, as well as behind the tragic consequences
      that even victory brings. We therefore call on all like-minded
      American veterans to join and support VAIW in its efforts to avert a
      national tragedy and an international calamity before it begins.

      http://www.vaiw.org/vet/index.php   *****