Refreshed, rested, and ready

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 30 16:12:30 MST 2003

David Schanoes:
>and to the concern of the international oil companies.  Aid and armament
>packages are already being proposed for Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan,
>Kazakhstan, and in those proposals is a portion of the real significance of
>the attacks on Afghanistan-- to secure territory bordering Iran, and other
>territory within the former Soviet Union, to provide a base for the shipment
>of material and materiel to the Caspian area.

The idea that an invasion of Afghanistan was meant to be a beach-head for
penetration of ex-Soviet oil fields has been heard here before from Jared
Israel. Michel Chussodovsky also believes this. I question the need to
break down an open door myself. The collapse of the USSR was accompanied by
an a race to open up the former republics to western oil interests. There
has been no resistance to such penetration from Yeltsin, Putin or any of
the minor satraps in places like Kazakhstan. It is also questionable to
assume that the WTC/Pentagon attacks were some kind of provocation set up
by the CIA in collaboration with bin-Laden or anybody else like that. The
USA will certainly use terrorist acts to further its geopolitical
interests, as any ruling class will do. But to search for conspiracies is
besides the point. 9/11 was consistent with attacks that have been
increasing since the collapse of the USSR and the growing divergence of
interests between US imperialism and its former allies like bin-Laden.