Bring 'em home!

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 11:24:18 MDT 2003

A REALLY excellent article by Gary Leupp entitled Occupation, Resistance and
the Plight of the GIs:
http://www.counterpunch.org/leupp07012003.html

Here's an excerpt:

Both Quinones and Cpl. Michael Richardson admit to killing injured enemy:
"The worst thing is to shoot one of them, then go help him," says Quinones,
"In that situation you're angry, you're raging" and although regulations
call for him to provide medical assistance to the injured, "S***, I didn't
help any of them. I wouldn't help the f******. There were some you let die.
And there were some you double-tapped. Once you'd reached the objective, and
once you'd shot them and you're moving through, anything there, you shoot
again. You didn't want any prisoners of war. You hate them so bad while
you're fighting, and you're so terrified, you can't really convey the
feeling, but you don't want them to live." (Evening Standard, June 19). Lt.
Cmdr. Christopher Bodley, chaplain for the First Reconnaissance Battalion,
admits, "The zeal these young men have for killing surprises me. When I
first heard them talk so easily about taking human lives, using such profane
language, it instilled in me a sense of disbelief and rage. People here
think Jesus is a doormat" (Evan Wright, "From Hell to Baghdad," Rolling
Stone, July 10; highly recommended).