Fwd: Protest Bush in Dayton, 7/4, 10 AM (Update from Dayton AFSC)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 2 15:22:00 MDT 2003

Info about the protest against Bush in Dayton from Dayton AFSC:

*****   Dear Friends:

Please send this email to everyone you know who might be interested
and then check your email again on Thursday evening (11:00 pm) for a
final update on the demonstration.

Plans as they now stand:

Demonstration on July 4, 2003.
Time: Gather at 10:00
Place: Airway Shopping Center, Airway and Woodman
<http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&ed=JR4yiep_0TrVaZNsYtz5mILCAdF4r9rw5kPm6S2hU7XcPTeWbOSvHDGL9xEN4A--&csz=Dayton,+Ohio+45431&country=us>

We will have speakers and we will march.  Those details will be
firmed up on Thursday evening.

Please bring signs.  Some suggestions/themes:

Independence for Iraq
US Out of Iraq
Where Are the Weapons of Mass Destruction
Celebrate Independence: Register to Vote
Celebrate Independence: Dissent
Regime Change Begins at Home
Dissent is the Highest Form of Patriotism (Thomas Jefferson)
Stop the War on the Poor
Wage Peace

The groups organizing this event so far are the following:

American Friends Service Committee
Committee to Save the Iraqi People
Dayton Peace Action
Pledge of Resistance
September 11 Coalition

These groups adhere to the following pledge and we hope others will as well:

We are gathered here to call for an end to the genocide against the
Iraqi people.

We are gathered here to oppose the occupation of Iraq.

During this demonstration:
§ We will carry no weapons.
§ We will not vandalize.
§ We will not swear or use insulting language.
§ We will not assault - either verbally or physically - those who
oppose or disagree with us, even if they assault us.

Barbara Roberts
AFSC
937-278-4225
<afscbarb at aol.com>   *****

If you have tickets, you will be able to protest on the museum
grounds, but in that case, be aware that you may risk arrest (Cf.
<http://www.charleston.net/stories/062403/sta_24protest.shtml>).
Here's contact info about Ohio ACLU: <http://www.acluohio.org/>

*****   Bush speech July 4 open to public
President at Air Force Museum on Friday for dedication of new wing

By Jim Bebbington
jbebbington at DaytonDailyNews.com

DAYTON | The public is invited - first-come, first-served - to attend
President Bush's speech Friday at the dedication of a new wing of the
U.S. Air Force Museum. But you must have a ticket.

The White House and local planners announced Monday that a limited
number of free tickets can be obtained by visiting the museum at
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base or Memorial Hall, 125 E. First St.,
10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. starting today and, if supplies remain, 9 a.m.
to 5 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday.

Individuals picking up tickets will have to sign for them and should
be prepared to show photo ID. No large-group or large quantity
requests will be accommodated.

Bush is to speak about noon on the museum grounds. Gates will open at
9 a.m. Ticket holders should arrive via Gate 28-B, off Springfield
Pike, and follow the signs. Attendees will have to go through a metal
detector at the event area.

Tickets can also be obtained by contacting:

* U.S. Rep. David Hobson's Springfield office, (937) 325-0474.

* U.S. Rep. Mike Turner's campaign office, (937) 222-7749.

* U.S. Rep. John Boehner's office, (800) 582-1001.

* U.S. Sen. Mike DeWine's office, but a contact number was not
available Monday night.

[From the Dayton Daily News: 07.01.2003]

<http://www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/daily/0701bush.html>
*****

The U.S. Air Force Museum (a map and directions):
<http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/usafm.htm>

AFSC Dayton: <http://www.afsc.org/greatlakes/dayton.htm>
Committee to Save the Iraqi People: <http://poetics.org/DaytonPOR/links.htm>
Dayton Peace Action: <http://www.peace-action.org/gen/affmw.html>
Dayton Pledge of Resistance: <http://poetics.org/DaytonPOR/default.htm>
September 11 Coalition (an anti-war coalition in Dayton, OH):
<http://www.september11coalition.org/> [website]
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: