Nigerian General Strike: Day 3, Three students killed by police in Port Harcourt

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at
Thu Jul 3 01:07:21 MDT 2003

The Guardian (Lagos) reports, police killed three students in Port Harcourt

Govt deploys troops in Abuja
*As protests persist

- Three feared dead in Rivers
- Reps panel okays N35 per litre
- Strike continues, says Labour

>From Kelvin Ebiri, Port Harcourt, Madu Onuorah and Mathias Okure and
John-Abba Ogbodo, Abuja and Prisca Egede and Alex Olise, Lagos

SOCIAL and economic activities in Nigeria remained still yesterday as the
workers' strike over the new fuel prices entered the third day.
Truce talks between the Labour leaders and the Federal Government continued
till late last night, with presidential spokesperson Remi Oyo raising hopes
of an amicable resolution.
But the nationwide protests got violent in some parts of the country, as
security operatives fired live bullets in some states and dispersed rioters
with teargas in others.
At least three persons were feared killed in Port Harcourt when policemen
clashed with protesters, mainly students. Troops were also deployed to the
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja, resulting in a stampede.
Students drawn from the Rivers State University of Science and Technology
and several secondary schools within Port Harcourt and environs said their
protest was to express solidarity with the NLC.
Chanting anti-government songs and carrying placards with anti-government
messages the students set up barricades and bonfires along the streets.
Victims of the police assault were shot at various parts of the state
capital. The first incident which The Guardian witnessed was when anti-riot
policemen deployed to disperse the students at Emenike/ Okija/ and Ikwerre
Road junction in the Mile 1 Diobu area of the city opened fire at the
protesters. The policemen had initially shot teargas canisters into the
crowd of the angry protesters but when the students responded by pelting
them with stones and bottles, the police fired live bullets which hit a boy
in the head. This infuriated the students whose demonstration had been
peaceful before the police came.
The students' demonstration was staged in various parts of the city. Eye
witnesses told The Guardian that the policemen who stormed Mile 3 to
disperse the students who made bonfires along Ikwerre Road also shot at
about two persons who are feared dead as well.


More information about the Marxism mailing list