Hit men movies

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 3 12:16:26 MDT 2003

I had selected Jean-Pierre Melville's 1967 "Le Samouraï" and Johnnie To
and Wai Ka-fai's 2001 "Fulltime Killer" pretty much at random from the
local video store. But comparisons between these two 'noirs' involving
hit men and the cops who pursue them began to suggest themselves
immediately. Especially after 'fulltime killer' Tok (Andy Lau), whose
main interest outside of killing people on contract is movies, berates a
thug for never having seen "Le Samouraï".

Melville's Parisian hit man is improbably named Jef Costello. Played by
Alain Delon, this character has the same laconic charisma as the just as
improbably named master burglar Corey he played in Melville's 1970 "Le
Cercle Rouge", a film I reviewed a while back
(http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/culture/Le_Cercle_Rouge.htm). With
their American names and their wardrobe lifted from a Bogart film, these
quintessentially Melvillian characters live outside of society and
eschew intimacy of any sort, except camaraderie with fellow outlaws.

"Le Samouraï" begins with bogus quote from the East: "There's no greater
solitude that the Samurai's, unless perhaps it be that of the tiger in
the jungle." Written by Melville himself, but attributed to the Japanese
"Book of Bushido", this is the same gimmick that he used in "Le Cercle
Rouge." The film opens with a saying attributed to the Buddha, but
written by Melville himself, that men who are destined to meet will
eventually meet in the red circle of fate, no matter what.

Of course, the affinity between bowdlerized Japanese culture and
American b-movies is more than skin-deep. When Kurosawa's "The Seven
Samurai" inspired the western "Magnificent Seven", one might be led to
take into account the influence of classic western films on Kurosawa
himself early on in his career. Such is the nature of the film 'lingua
franca' that fertilized and cross-fertilized the work of so many
directors and screenwriters in the post-WWII period.

Jef Costello is bound by a strict ethical code, despite the fact that he
is violating one of the most sacrosanct Ten Commandments on an ongoing
basis. Unlike real life hit men such as Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, this
killer commands respect and admiration--even if his life seems barren
and unrewarding in most respects. Living in a dingy studio apartment and
enjoying no companionship except that of a pet bird, he seems to live
only for his next assignment. When he is betrayed by the men who hired
him to kill a nightclub owner, he risks everything--including capture by
the police who are following his every move--to pay them back.

"Fulltime Killer" pits the Chinese assassin Tok against his Japanese
rival O (Takashi Sorimachi). Since Tok came close to winning a gold
medal in the Olympics target shooting competitions, he is eminently
qualified to kill his quarry, especially at long range. The only thing
that stands in his way to becoming Number One is the reclusive and
withdrawn O, who makes Jef Costello look like a social butterfly.

Ostensibly living in modest bachelor digs, O actually occupies a loft
across the street which is stocked with the latest weaponry and
telephoto lenses. From the window of the loft, he voyeuristically gazes
at his housekeeper Chin (Kelly Lin) who suspects that her employer might
be a hit man. Whenever he lives town, she notices that there is a
contract hit carried out in the city he has just visited.

By contrast, Tok is outgoing and affectionate in an almost manic
fashion. When he runs into Chin, who works at a video store when not
looking after O's apartment, he is clad in a rubber Bill Clinton mask
like that used--as he puts it--in that film where the robbers all wore
such masks. (Point Blank). He later puts the mask to good use when he
kills a gangster and his henchmen in broad daylight not ten blocks from
where he has been having a pleasant lunch with Chin. He blandly assures
her that after he has killed a few bad men, he would rejoin her in no
more than fifteen minutes. He keeps his word.

The final confrontation between Tok and O takes place in a fireworks
factory and incorporates all of the elaborate gunplay-choreography of a
classic John Woo film.

Despite attempts by Martin Scorsese and others to strip the romantic
aura from the professional hit man in films such as "Goodfellas", this
genre continues to have enormous appeal. Such films are the
quintessential escape. The heroes not only live outside of bourgeois
society, they seem to care little about its rules. With their thin
veneer of existentialism and their highly stylized presentation, there
is a commonality between Melville's work, a whole school of Hong Kong
film analyzed by Michael Hoover and Lisa Stokes in "City on Fire" and
derivative works by Quentin Tarentino and his imitators.

They seem to flourish when the class struggle is in ebb--the late 1940s
were a good time for Hollywood 'noir' classics just as the 1990s gave
rise to John Woo and other Hong Kong masters who reworked the Hollywood
genre to reflect a troubled and seemingly hopeless transition period in
the British colony. In an interview with John Woo in the Bright Lights
Film Journal (http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/31/hk_johnwoo.html), he
parries the interviewer's question about his apparent love for violence:

"As a child, I was raised in the slums of Hong Kong. I saw too many
people killed in disasters and by gangs. Growing up in the slums is like
growing up in hell. In the ’50s and ’60s, there were riots, and I
witnessed people killed by police right outside my own door. I also was
very active during the Vietnam War. On the one hand, I so admire those
men who went away to fight for their country. But also I was very
against war, killing, and fighting... in any respect. I always dreamed
of a better world. Another place where there is no violence and only
peace and love exist. I have seen enough violence. In actual life, I
hate violence! But the world is not like I dreamed; there is violence
and crime everywhere. My ideal is that there is always some sort of
justice."

Perhaps with a rise in the class struggle, directors with such feelings
will be able to express themselves in a more hopeful fashion.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org