World weather going haywire

Martin Spellman martinwriter at btopenworld.com
Thu Jul 3 09:48:37 MDT 2003

	This was on British TV news Thursday. Until now they seem to have been able
to report extreme weather as  a spectacle. Any idea of causes and solutions
or even the words 'Global Warming' were nowhere to be found. We even had
special programs on extreme weather: tornadoes; fantastic thunder storms;
hurricanes etc. The only bodies that seem seriously concerned are the
insurance companies. But people know about extreme weather and its source in
global warming and more and really would like to know what is going to be
done about it. Because they also know that, principally due to the US
Government, the answer is nothing or 'live with it' and 'adapt to the new
reality'.

	It is the same with other issues. Last Sunday the BBC programme 'Panorama'
featured the National Health Service and the way figures are massaged to
meet the 'targets'. But people know this and the effects of this already,
especially when they have first hand, personal experience of hospital
waiting lists. To quote a Jack Nicholson line from a film "I'm drowning here
and you're describing the water!"

The likely solution of course is that the World Meteorological Organisation
will get its funding cut.

Martin Spellman