Hobsbawm

Philip Ferguson PLF13 at student.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jul 3 23:29:52 MDT 2003

Mark L wrote:
> I don't know how influential British trade unionists ever were in the
> location of the nation's capital.
>
> ML

Indeed, but it was a good point on Engels' part.

British reformists of the time regarded the Irish struggle for
independence as backward and parochial and would attack it in the name
of internationalism.  Of course, this was merely a cover for their own
reformism and support for British colonial rule.

I think it quite clever and witty of Engels to suggest these reformists
show their internationalism by campaigning for the British capital to be
moved to Dublin.  It challenged them on their own terms and showed who
was backward and parochial.

Phil