Forwarded from Nestor (Huato)

dms dmschanoes at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 4 16:51:56 MDT 2003

Perhaps comrade Proyect can provide some detailed information to back up
Nestor's typically flamboyant (and ahistorical) claims that the US Civil War
was in reality a war between the US bourgeoisie and the British bougeoisie,
with the South being Britain's proxy or cat's paw, which would make slavery
at best a secondary issue, at worst a subterfuge. I haven't been able to
find any evidence.

Certainly, there was considerable sympathy within the British ruling class
for the Confederacy, but sympathy is not the same thing as direct combat.
In fact, France, under Louis Napoleon is much more sympathetic, and provides
much more direct aid to the Confederacy than Britian ever did.

The British working classes were absolutely forthright in their opposition
to the South and for that reason, and particularly after the storm of the
Trent affair died out, the British were restricted in their actions.
Lincoln's proclamation of emancipation sealed the deal, and correspondence
from the Confederacy is filled with moaning and groaning over Britain and
Europe's refusal to recognized the Confederacy as a sovereign nation.
France, it should be understood, refused to act without British support and
concurrence. In fact, Jefferson Davis considered declaring his own
emancipation proclamation if Europe would intervene on behalf of the
Confederacy.  No takers were found.

The bulk of British capital invested in the US was invested, at that time,
in the North, particularly in US railroads, and that too, along with grain
imports made the British moderate their affinity for slaveholdings.

In fact, slavery was the issue that precipitated the war, and prevented the
British from intervening as its own emancipation of slaves some 30 years
prior, its own abolition of the slave trade prevented the "seamless
integration" of slave economies with the industrialized system.

If memory serves me, I believe Britain would not accept confederate currency
for payment and insisted on payment in specie.  No?

The sympathy of British mercantile interests, based on the cotton trade,
should not surprise us nor make us think the British were behind the
secession, no more than the sympathy of the northern mercantilists in Boston
and NY should be read as the "real" enemy of the Union.

Despite the South's role in providing cotton to Britain, the cause  of the
civil war was over expansion of economic systems.  The confederacy although
incapable of reproducing itself, providing for an economy of expansion,
wanted to block the expansion of free land, free soil, free labor, into the
territories, holding the territories as occupied, but unused territories by
the slave system.

dms