Habib, Capitalism in History

dms dmschanoes at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 4 15:12:52 MDT 2003

Let me put my question, and concern, in a nutshell, and I think in a way,
answer the question of which has to come first, the chicken (the social
relation) or the egg (the extracted wealth).

My question, concern, contention, is:  Does the accumulation of wealth
create the necessary and sufficient conditions for the transformation of
property, social, labor relations into the relations of capital and wage
labor?

I do not, in my limited research, find that, because I do not find the the
mechanisms by which that wealth is funnelled through existing social
relations to create a new arrangement, a new exchange of property and labor.

Where and how does this change, this dispossession of labor, this stripping
of labor from all resources, connections, use, save as a mechanism for
exchange occur.

I have no doubt that plunder, slavery, looting are critical, coincident, and
"accelerators" to the development of capitalism.  I have no doubt that the
expansion of trade, the ascendancy of the mercantilists is an historical
precursor and necessity.

I just need to see something-- the lines of the plunder and loot being used
to dispossess labor from the means and mechanisms of its own sustenance.

I want to see the social relation of wage-labor and capital being created in
the primitive accumulation, or in primitive accumulation step 2.

Perhaps this is too simple a formulation, but it's about as plain as I can
make my earlier disagreements.

dms
<nsiemensma at yahoo.com.au>