Bush's smirk

Xenon Zi-Neng Yuan wenhuadageming at comcast.net
Fri Jul 4 17:30:59 MDT 2003

hmmm, since we're on this topic...  ;)   i just came across this reuters
piece "Bush Taking Heat for 'Bring Them On' Remark"
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0703-07.htm, containing this tidbit:

[start excerpt]
University of Texas political scientist Bruce Buchanan, a longtime Bush
watcher, said Bush uses such language when under strain, and that he is
likely feeling the heat of criticism about the lagging post-war effort in
Iraq.

"He called the remark an unfortunate choice of words because it sounded
belligerent. "I think that when he feels up against it, as he did at the
time of the 9/11 attacks, or when he does when coming under criticism now,
he has a tendency to strike back verbally, and I think that's what you're
seeing there. He's not choosing his words diplomatically at those moments
because he's not feeling particularly diplomatic," Buchanan said.
[end excerpt]

this reminded me of a toronto star article from way back, interviewing the
author of "the bush dyslexicon"
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393322963/qid=1057361368/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-4371570-9187853?v=glance&s=books)
during the "moron name-calling" episode with chretien last november: "Bush
Anything But Moronic, According to Author"

some of the things it said:

"...Bush is not an imbecile. He's not a puppet. I think that Bush is a
sociopathic personality. I think he's incapable of empathy. He has an
inordinate sense of his own entitlement, and he's a very skilled
manipulator. And in all the snickering about his alleged idiocy, this is
what a lot of people miss..."

[snip]

"...He has no trouble speaking off the cuff when he's speaking punitively,
when he's talking about violence, when he's talking about revenge.

"When he struts and thumps his chest, his syntax and grammar are fine,"
Miller said.

"It's only when he leaps into the wild blue yonder of compassion, or
idealism, or altruism, that he makes these hilarious mistakes..."

[snip]

"...I know how hard it is to put food on your family," Bush was quoted as
saying.

"That wasn't because he's so stupid that he doesn't know how to say, `Put
food on your family's table' — it's because he doesn't care about people
who can't put food on the table," Miller says.

So, when Bush is envisioning "a foreign-handed foreign policy," or observes
on some point that "it's not the way that America is all about," Miller
contends it's because he can't keep his focus on things that mean nothing
to him...

[snip]

...This, then, is why he's so closely watched by his handlers, Miller says
— not because he'll say something stupid, but because he'll overindulge in
the language of violence and punishment at which he excels.

"He's a very angry guy, a hostile guy. He's much like Nixon. So they're
very, very careful to choreograph every move he makes. They don't want him
anywhere near protestors, because he would lose his temper."

[end excerpts]

xzy