Trotskyism and the Cuban revolution

John Paramo albatrosrojo2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 13:38:16 MDT 2003

> Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:20:57 -0400
> From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>
> Subject: Trotskyism and the Cuban revolution
>
> Trotskyism and the Cuban Revolution: A Debate
>
> Adolfo Gilly, Angel Fanjul and José G. Pérez

How this "debate" can be termed "Trotskyism and the
Cuban Revolution" is a mystery to me.

The interventions of Gilly (former Argentinean
Posadist active both in Guatemala -- with the Yom Sosa
guerrilla -  and in Mexico and now a pro-bourgeois
supporter of Cardenas' PRD); Fanjul and Jose G Perez
(by self recognition no longer a Trotskyst but a
Fidelista)were marginal to the main theoretical and
political discussions in the trotskyist movement in
the 60s, 70s and 80s.

The "debate" certainly do not raise any hsitorical
evidence, but is just an exchange of charges and
counter-charges barely sustained by any body of
evidence.

This is not to minimize or deny their right to present
their point of view then or now, but cannot be
presented as the opinions in dispute in the
revolutionary Marxist movement around Cuba, etc now as
a serious treatment of hsitory - both of Cuba or Cuban
Trotskyism.

In fact, all three contributions and the original
speech by Barnes contained so many distortions of
reality, opinions of others, politics of their own,
etc that would be impossible to untangle in a single
posting, not that anyone today would care.  I beleive
most people won't and for once, they will be right.

But for those really interested in knowing a little
more about the Trotskysts - and left wing centrists in
Cuba, as well as oppositionists - as well as the
Stalinist PSP before, during and after the revolution,
I would recommend two books to start with:

History of Cuba
The Challenge of the Yugo and the Star
By Prof. Jose Canton Navarro

Which is considered the "official" history of Cuba by
the Cuban government. Jose canton Navarro was the main
authority in Cuban History in the PCC for many years (
I think he is retired now) and was teh founder of the
Schools of Revolutionary Instructions (EIR) in the
early 60s.  This will put to rest the inventions and
myths ellaborated by the epigones outside Cuba who
invented, as the SWP did, a whole history of Cuba to
justify what you will find clearly - if you read
between the lines - all the twists and turns of the
Cuban leadership over the years.

and

The Hidden Pearl of the Caribbean
Trotskyism in Cuba
Revolutionary History, Volume 7, No. 3

Whinc will give you a less biased and more documented
view of Trotskyism in Cuba from its origen, including
the predecessors opponents to Stalinism inside the
PSP, the evolution of the PBL and some of the history
of the POR itself.

More importantly, you'll find interesting material
about Julio Antonio Mella and his relationship with
the dissenting voices in the original Cuban CP and how
he was attacked as a trotskyist and eventually
murdered in Mexico by the Stalinists, etc

While incomplete, these two works will open a window
into the ulterior falsifications of Cuban history of
the Stalinists and a more balanced history of
Trotskyism in Cuba itself.

After that, you may consider reading the *important*
debates in the movement that occurred in the 60s, 70s
and 80s - and are now re-emerging - around the nature
of the Cuba state, the government, stalinism, radical
nationalism and Fidel Castro.

In that context, the "debates" mentioned in Lou's
posting are not more than incidental, fragmentary and
essentially marginal.

The best,

JP