A query to a professional anti-Communist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jul 5 08:44:20 MDT 2003

My dear Anne Applebaum,

I realize that you have a lot invested career-path-wise in flogging
Communism and might get carried away on occasion like a bull at the sight
of a red cape. However, your review of Robert Harvey's "Comrades: the Rise
and Fall of World Communism" in the London Telegraph seems to detach itself
from the planet and fly off into the stratosphere. You start off:

"Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, Mao, Ceausescu, Ho Chi Minh, Pol Pot, Salvador
Allende, Mengistu, Castro, Kim Il-sung: the list of murderous communist
leaders is long, diverse and profoundly multicultural."

I wasn't aware that Salvador Allende was a murderer, or a communist. Is
this your own heterodox interpretation or something that the
neo-McCarthyite movement has cooked up while I wasn't paying attention? I
honestly can't keep track of all the nutty things coming out of the Weekly
Standard, the NY Post editorial page and David Horowitz's website nowadays.
It is like trying to keep track of car commercials during a football game.
Can you refer me to an article that makes the case that Allende was
rounding up free-market ideologues and throwing them into concentration
camps or cutting off their noses? In sorry times such as these, a good
laugh always helps.