Trotskyism and the Cuban revolution/ratfinks

Walter Lippmann walterlx at enet.cu
Sun Jul 6 10:46:47 MDT 2003

In the years after the triumph of the Russian Revolution,
Lenin dropped his polemics against Trotsky's theory of
permanent revolution. They had other disagreements,
but as far as I know, worked together despite having
those disagreements. In other words, they moved on.

Trotsky's theory of permanent revolution, as I said in
the last episode, was better as a description of the
logic of a process, but wrong as s PRESCRIPTION
or as a program for what should be done. It was due
to the SWP's acceptance of the theory of permanent
revolution as a program, as a PRESCRIPTION of
what should be done, that they took their position in
opposition to the Cuban leadership of Fidel Castro.

The Cubans didn't hold that theory against the SWP,
and worked with them then, as they continue to work
with anyone, including the SWP, on areas where
common agreement exists.

Using terms like "ratfinks" can only inflame and can
never clarify anything. They only serve to poison the
atmosphere for discussion.

Walter Lippmann