Capitalist Poland on Imperialist Bandwagon

Chris Brady cdbrady at attglobal.net
Sun Jul 6 11:03:20 MDT 2003

{with candor, at least...}

  Poland seeks Iraqi oil stake
 (source: BBC)

 Poland, which has sent troops to support the US-led forces in Iraq, has
acknowledged its “ultimate objective” is to acquire supplies of Iraqi
oil.  The Polish Foreign Minister, Wlodzimierz Cimoszewicz, said his
country had never disguised the fact that it sought direct access to the
oilfields.

 He was speaking as a group of Polish firms signed a deal with a
subsidiary of US Vice President Dick Cheney’s former company,
Halliburton.

 The US firm, Kellogg, Brown and Root, has already won million-dollar
contracts to carry out reconstruction work in Iraq.

 “We have never hidden our desire for Polish oil companies to finally
have access to sources of commodities,” Mr Cimoszewicz told the Polish
PAP news agency.

 Access to the oilfields “is our ultimate objective,” he added.  Polish
soldiers are to command one of the post-war administrative zones being
set up to run Iraq.

 Poland firmly supported the United States during the Iraq war, and sent
a small number of troops during the combat.

 About 250 Polish soldiers left for Kuwait on Wednesday to begin
preparations for a multinational peacekeeping force in central Iraq.

 Poland will take command of more than 9,000 troops from 15 nations -
including 2,300 of its own - when the force is ready at the beginning
of  September.

 The sector under Polish command will be sandwiched between the US and
British sectors.

 It is the first time Poland has led such a large multinational
peacekeeping force.

 http://newsvote.bbc.c