Widening aggression against semicolonial peoples, and a question about Indonesia

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sun Jul 6 14:03:50 MDT 2003

Fred,

I think you make too much of a blanket assessment regarding calls for an
end to Australian military aid to Indonesia. You've turned a tactical
question into a general principle. What is the direction of movement of the
regime involved? Is it struggling against imperialism (I can't envision
imperialists providing military aid to regimes that oppose it, still it
might happen)? Is it using military aid provided by imperialism to repress
revolutionary forces? To destroy unions? Most importantly, what is the
state of political and social movement in the country concerned? What are
the desires of the movements and their leaders? You state, in the Haitian
example, that this is irrelevant. That, to my mind IS helping imperialism.
Should we have eschewed opposition to military aid to the Salvadoran
regime? Should we cease calls for elimination of the School of the
Americas? Moreover, demanding an end to military aid is NOT the same as an
economic embargo. The one aids struggle, the other punishes the people,
although at some point, it might represent the final push needed to assist
a popular movement (it occurs to me that As the FSLN drew close to victory,
the Group of Twelve called for an embargo against Somoza -- should we have
opposed that?). Also, how do you draw the line between right-wing movements
in power and those who seek power, such as UNITA, the contras, etc? Should
we, in retrospect, have allowed the U.S. to continue to arm the contras?

Mike