A query to a professional anti-Communist

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sun Jul 6 18:22:42 MDT 2003

At 04:09  6/07/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Naturally this piqued my own interest and the interest of other activists.
>We began to do some research on Zubek. We found out that he was funded
>through the Canadian Defense Research Board and some other entities but that
>the real origins of their research funding and focus was the U.S. Army,
>British Government and some other entities. We also got a copy of the
>Compton Report (actually a whitewash) of the British government on British
>interrogation techniques in Northern Ireland which cited John Zubek over and
>over as having provided the theoretical and experimental approaches to
>developing the interrogation techniques used by the British in Northern
>Ireland. There were numerous references to pain threshholds and
>susceptibility to pain and manipulation as a function of the extent and
>nature of sensory deprivation in the report.

It's a small world Jim.  Compton insisted that there had been no "torture"
of detainees only "ill-treatment".

None of your and your comrades activities were ever reported in Britain as
far as I am aware.

So Zubek committed suicide. I am reminded of Fanon on the French torturer
he was treating who just wanted to be cured so he could get back to
torturing.  He was referred to Fanon because of domestic violence. Fanon
could not get him to see that it was the torture that was making him beat
up his wife and family and wreck the home.

warm regards

Gary