A query to a professional anti-Communist

gdunkel at mindspring.com gdunkel at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 7 07:24:34 MDT 2003

On 6 Jul 03, at 1:25, David Quarter wrote:
>  And wasn't it Susan Sontag who was taking kickbacks from the
> CIA in the heyday of the feminist movement? I recall reading
> something about that in an newspaper article a while back.  I also
> remember reading somewhere that Orwell was being blackmaled
> by intelligence (?).
>
> If anyone can comment on that?
The CIA and other institutions had an active program in the lated ' 60s
and early '70s of subverting groups like the National Student Association
and some literary magazines.  Sontag may have written for some of them
but a Lexis-Nexis search didn't turn up any mention of charges that she
was directly paid by the CIA.

It's hard to prove a negative but I personally would be careful about
making such a charge -- I'd rather base it on the contents of her work

/greg.