Pakistan: Fighting the Army, for farm land

Anon Anon inprekorr at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 22:56:12 MDT 2003

Frontline (India)
Volume 20 - Issue 14, July 05 - 18, 2003

MOHAMMAD SHEHZAD

At Okara in Pakistan's Punjab province, a peaceful
movement by peasants frustrates the Army's attempts,
often violent, to assume ownership of the land they
cultivate.

PEASANTS spearheading a peaceful land rights movement
at Okara in southern Punjab, 100 km from Lahore, fear
that their struggle could take a violent turn if the
Pakistan military continues to suppress it. The latest
brutal act by the military, they alleged, was the
gunning down of a farmer, Mohammad Amir.

"For the last three years, the Pakistani Army has been
terrorising us in the same manner that it terrorised
Bengalis in 1971. So far our movement has been
peaceful. But if the military does not end its
atrocities, we may take up arms or resort to suicide
attacks for our rights," said Anwar Javed Dogar, chief
organiser of the Anjuman Mazareen Punjab (AMP).

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2014/stories/20030718001106300.htm

'An armed resistance may develop'

Interview with Dr. Pervez Amirali Hoodbhoy.

Dr. Pervez Amirali Hoodbhoy, Professor of Physics at
Quaid-e-Azam University and a peace activist, visited
Okara recently. It was his second trip to the besieged
area. In this interview to Mohammad Shehzad, he speaks
about the Army's shenanigans and atrocities against
the poor peasants.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2014/stories/20030718000706400.htm