marxism-digest V1 #6053

Juan Fajardo fajardos at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 7 21:13:08 MDT 2003

> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 01:34:40 -0400
> From: "Jose G. Perez" <jg_perez at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: The Permanent Revolution debate is a useless, phony debate
>
> I was there at the launch of this current debate on the Theory of
> Permanent Revolution in the Trotskyists movement when Jack Barnes
> presented to the SWP Political Committee ....I never, ever
 > understood what all the shouting was about. I still don't.

I never quite understood it either when I was in YSA, although it made
sense to me that if we believed that what Trotsky and we proposed and
defended was Marxism-Leninism, then it made little sense to call
ourselves Trotskyists instead of Marxists-Leninists.

As to the reaction "Their Trotsky and Ours" received from other
Trotskyist circles, well ... well, it was kind of like going around
telling Southern Baptists that a pope was responsible for the writing
down of the Bible, or that God's not white.

- Juan