Vheadline.com: 1,000 Cuban doctors headed to Venezuela

Jose G. Perez jg_perez at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 8 07:44:53 MDT 2003

President Chavez Frias drafts in more than 1,000 Cuban medics to treat
Venezuela's poor

In a show-down with Venezuelan medics who refuse to take on public
health services in impoverished districts of his country, Venezuelan
President Hugo Chavez Frias has announced that more almost 1,000 medics
will be flown in beginning this week ... by month's end, 815 Cuban
doctors are scheduled to arrive and Chavez Frias says more will follow
before the end of August. [snip]

''We are sending the doctors to the heart of the barrio-slums where they
are really needed ... nothing and nobody is going to stop my
government's humanitarian action ... the opposition is, of course,
screaming blue murder over the fact that the doctors are coming from
Cuba, but what else can we do when Venezuelan doctors are too
'primadonna' to go to the heart of the matter themselves ... they all
want to set up in private practice and earn fistfuls of US$ ... that
can't be right!"

http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=9253