Why the goverment of Japan wants to help occupy Iraq

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 8 10:06:18 MDT 2003

At 12:11 AM -0700 7/8/03, Charles Jannuzi wrote:
>First, Yoshie F. rightly pointed out that this was the doing of
>Koizumi and his government, and that most Japanese wouldn't support
>such a move if asked. But then again, it isn't like they are
>protesting such a move in massive numbers. So what people say and
>what people allow to happen are often two different things.
>Government by default, if you will

Shortly before the beginning of the invasion of Iraq, I was comparing
news of anti-war demos in Spain, Australia, England, Turkey, and
other countries whose governments are allied with the USA and those
in Japan.  Even taking more generous estimates given by Akahata and
Asahi Shimbun, I was disappointed that Japanese demos were a lot
smaller than those under the other US allies.

At 12:11 AM -0700 7/8/03, Charles Jannuzi wrote:
>So perhaps the deal is, if Japan commits a token force to the
>occupation of Iraq, the US might help (or at least not directly
>obstruct) Japan getting more stable and diverse oil supplies. How
>tense do things actually feel now, if you read the US'songoing
>rhetoric war against Iran? Situation under control at the national
>security state. Another Iranian oil project delayed. One ally
>brought even more integrally into the strategic protection racket

That's quite possible.

*****   MP says Japan not officially withdrawn from Azadegan oil deal

Birjand, Khorasan prov, July 8, IRNA -- Chairman of Majlis Energy
Commission Hossein Afarideh said in Shiravan, in the northeastern
province of Khorasan, on Tuesday that Japan has not officially
withdrawn from a major oil deal to develop Iran's Azadegan oil field.

"Despite US pressure, Japan has not yet officially declared that it
has withdrawn from the deal, although certain media reports confirm
that Tokyo is considering to do so," Afardideh told IRNA....

<http://www.irna.ir/en/head/030708115317.ehe.shtml>   *****

*****   Japan to press Iran on nuclear arms
By Bayan Rahman
Published: July 8 2003 5:00 | Last Updated: July 8 2003 5:00

Japan will send a mission to Tehran on Saturday for talks on
non-proliferation of nuclear arms amid US pressure for the two
countries to call off the $2bn (¤1.7bn, £1.2bn) Azadegan oil deal.

Yukiya Amano, the foreign ministry's arms-control chief, will lead
the mission. He is expected to urge Iran to allow more stringent
inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Negotiations on the oil project continue, although Japanese officials
have said they would consider the oil deal in light of international
concerns. Bayan Rahman, Tokyo

<http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1057562205286>
*****

The negotiation for the Azadegan oil deal has yet to be officially
called off by either side, so pressures on Japan about it are to
extract concessions from Japan and Iran with regard to Iraq
("peace-keepers" from Japan, non-interference from Iran), Iranian
nuclear issues, etc.

On the other hand, the Japanese power elite had already been moving
into the present direction on their own before the Iranian oil deal
got put on hold:

"Japan has been taking steps to boost its security role overseas
since the early 1990s. It took three years of haggling before a bill
was passed in 1992 that permits Japanese troops to take part in
United Nations peacekeeping. Since then, Japan has sent troops to
Cambodia, Mozambique, Zaire and the Golan Heights. Japan passed
another law in late 2001 that enabled it to provide support in the
form of refueling and supplies for U.S. forces in Afghanistan"
("Japanese Lawmakers Approve Deployment of Troops to Iraq," July 4,
2003, <http://www.iht.com/articles/101747.htm>).

At 12:11 AM -0700 7/8/03, Charles Jannuzi wrote:
>Also, Tokyo is looking forward to a summer of brown outs due to the
>deterioration of TEPCO's nuclear power plants, so more oil-burning
>plants looks to be one of the easiest short-to-mid-term solutions.
>It can't get them unless it cooperates with the US.

That's news to me.  I've been out of touch.  Tell us more about it.
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>,