Personal & Concrete (was Who/what is "dms")

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 8 12:19:48 MDT 2003

>  > So now tell me, what does any of that have to do with
>  > nationalism, the land question, super profits, etc.?
>
>Nothing. It was an irrevelant question, which I personally wouldn't
>have answered. It's like someome, who you just started a discussion
>with on the street, asking you your "ethnic background". You should
>have said: irrelavent, none of your business. Now, can we get back
>to debating.
>
>DOQ

Perhaps because the question was initially asked in the midst of a
debate, it rubbed you in a wrong way, but I think it facilitates
discussion when we feel touched by traces of the personal and
concrete in postings.  I wouldn't want to read anyone's C.V., but I
always find it fascinating whenever someone says something about his
or her current political struggles, cherished memories of comrades,
friends, kin & kindred spirits, everyday hopes and fears of surviving
on the left.  We may be Marxists, but we are also ordinary human
beings, so we feel better when we know we are talking to individuals
with idiosyncratic faces and voices and experiences.  Otherwise,
discussion feels more virtual than real.
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>,