ASDnet: makes Grant's Tomb look and sound like the Okie Stomp

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 18:27:12 MDT 2003

Note by Hunterbear:

This is an ASDnet [DSA] post of mine.

======================

I've always remembered the comment by a friend, Ken O'Reilly [History, Univ
of AK], who responded to my friendly inquiry on "how's the book doing?" with
the answer, "If things were moving any more slowly, I'd be dead."  Well, of
course, he kept going and produced the truly excellent Racial Matters:  The
FBI's Secret File on Black America, 1960-1972 [New York:  The Free Press,
1989.]  I add, with some pride, that Ken traveled to Jackson and MDAH and
went through my voluminous FBI files and other papers in my collection --
and I'm well featured [as John R Salter, Jr] in several dimensions
throughout his work.

What he said at the nadir of his book's creation certainly applies to ASDnet
today.

Two years ago, it was not unusual for at least four or five substantive
discussions to be proceeding simultaneously on ASDnet.  At this point,
Grant's Tomb, by comparison, looks and sounds like an Okie Stomp Dance.

On a couple of recent occasions, a relative newcomer to ASDnet and I
commented to and with each other [off list] about the total dearth of humour
on the list.

Of course, things got more serious after 9/11 -- and radical frustrations
mounted.  On the other hand, the List's ethos was badly damaged and
substantially polarized by the frequent charges of "Stalinist" and
"Stalinoid" and related allusions that began to be carelessly and frequently
tossed out by a very few. [This still, of course, bubbles up.]  Most on the
List, like the Silent South, have always been reluctant to challenge these
personally denigrating crusades. Probably only on ASDnet was the May, 2002,
commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Paul Robeson's historic Peace Arch
Conference diverted from its great civil libertarian origins and significant
contemporary thrust vis-a-vis international border issues -- by bizarre and
endless discussions of Communist things that had occurred when people like
myself [now almost 70] were simply kids.  At the time these hysterical
ASDnet outbursts were going on, the SNCC list, for example, routinely and
very supportively carried -- as it always does, and certainly the Black
media generally -- all sorts of solidly commemorative things about Robeson
and his art. [When, BTW, Michael Harrington has been occasionally discussed
on ASDnet, no one has ever attacked anyone for that person's position on
Harrington.]

When Ken O'Reilly made his comment, he was emerging from the "long seminal
winter" into the creative springtime.  ASDnet, I'm afraid, is snowbound and
ice-locked and virtually dead.

And a more significant question, not at all unrelated, is what's DSA's
future, if any?  Judging from its reluctance to constructively engage on
behalf of Kucinich -- who represents most of that which DSA has professed
since its inception -- the cemetery may be getting another permanent
occupant one of these times.

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear]
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´