Critique of New Left

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 9 14:01:44 MDT 2003

> I am doing a research on the fate of the New Left for
> the Russian weekly Left.ru and will appreciate any
> guidance in terms of literature to read as well as opinions from the list
> members.  I am especially interested in a critique of the New Left from
> the ´traditional´Marxist perspective and some sad stories similar to that of
> Cohn-Bendit.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Vadim Stolz

The New Left in the USA was virtually synonymous with Students for a
Democratic Society (SDS). I have reviewed 2 documentaries about this
group that fill in some background information about their rise and
collapse:

http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/culture/Weather_Underground.htm

http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/culture/rebels_with_a_cause.htm

--