Query Re: International ANSWER

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 9 14:54:40 MDT 2003

At 7:48 AM -0700 7/9/03, Eli Stephens wrote:
>Between iacenter at iacenter.org and iac at actionsf.org I suspect you can
>reach anyone you want to at ANSWER.

I've tried both, but I've yet to hear from anyone at either IAC or
ANSWER.  Those official addresses listed on the websites must get
hundreds of messages a day, I'd think.  Michael Perelman referred me
to Professor George Wright, who was invited to speak at the ANSWER
conference in May, and I hope I'll be able to get in touch with
someone on the ANSWER steering committee through him.

Is there anyone here who is very active in ANSWER and who personally
knows individuals who are in decision-making positions in the
coalition (btw, where is our WW man Lou Paulsen)?  I have an
anti-war/anti-occupation campaign idea that I'm hoping ANSWER could
take up (that I've posted here -- among other places -- a couple days
ago; it's a posting titled "Soldiers to Congress: Send Us Home").

I'd like to see a national campaign (letters, petitions, sit-ins,
demonstrations, etc.) to bring soldiers home _now_ -- before
Washington decides to escalate the size of the army of occupation
dramatically.  Soldiers want to go home, their families and friends
want them home, and Iraqis want them out of their country -- and yet,
surprisingly, no major anti-war coalition is currently focused on a
campaign to bring them home now.  Why???  I want to call on all
anti-war coalitions (International ANSWER,
<http://www.internationalanswer.org/>; National Network to End the
War against Iraq, <http://www.endthewar.org/>; Not In Our Name,
<http://www.notinourname.net/>; Racial Justice 911,
<http://www.rj911.org/>; United for Peace and Justice,
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>; Win Without War,
<http://www.winwithoutwarus.org/>) to initiate a coordinated campaign
with a simple message: Bring Them Home Now.

Anger and anxiety of soldiers and their families have been
extensively covered lately (see my posting "Soldiers to Congress:
Send Us Home" for samples of the coverage -- also check out "When Are
Our Sons, Daughters and Spouses Coming Home From Iraq?" Tuesday, July
8th, 2003,
<http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/08/155245>), and
the US government has yet to make a major change in Iraq deployment
(aside from enlisting several other nations' soldiers in support
capacity rather than in counter-insurgency).  We have a window of
opportunity here if we can get a Bring Them Home Now campaign off
ground soon.

ANSWER (together with Al-Awda and the UK Stop the War Coalition) will
be holding the international days of action against empire and
occupation on September 26-28, but I think an intensive
action/education campaign (letters, petitions, sit-ins, street
theater, etc.) should start _now_, leading up to the
ANSWER/Al-Awda/StW days of action in September.

I've made some headway in United for Peace and Justice and Military
Families Speak Out -- I've received favorable responses to my pitch
from Bill Fletcher (a key member of the UFPJ steering committee),
Merle Ratner (a board member of the Brecht Forum and also a member of
the UFPJ-Iraq working group), Jeff McKenzie (a co-founder of MFSO),
etc., but things are moving very slowly -- besides, I want ANSWER and
other coalitions to put the idea on the front burner, too.

BTW, below is the list of members of the UFPJ steering committee.  If
you like my idea of the Bring Them Home Now campaign and are friends
with anyone who is on the UFPJ steering committee, encourage him or
her to have the UFPJ steering committee adopt it.

UFPJ National Steering Committee

These thirty-five people were elected at the June 2003 United for
Peace and Justice National Strategy Conference to serve as UFPJ's
national steering committee:

Frank Ackles, Veterans For Peace
Andrea Buffa, Global Exchange
Leslie Cagan, Pacifica Foundation
Kelly Campbell, September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows
Patricia Clark, Fellowship of Reconciliation
Saulo Colon, Vieques Support Campaign
Julio César de Tapia, People for Peace and Justice of Utah
Ajamu Dillahunt, Black Solidarity Against the War
Lisa Fithian, RANT
Bill Fletcher, TransAfrica Forum
George Friday, Independent Progressive Politics Network
Jen Geiger, Women's Int'l League for Peace and Freedom
Van Gosse, Historians Against the War
Graylan Hagler, Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ
Rebecca Kaiser, Nebraskans for Peace
Deb Kory, Tikkun Magazine and Community
Judith LeBlanc, Communist Party
Eun Sook Lee, Young Koreans United/USA
Michael Letwin, NYC Labor Against the War
Rahul Mahajan, Nowar Collective/Austin Coalition
Jessica Marshall, National Youth and Student Peace Coalition
Kevin Martin, Peace Action
George Martin, Milwaukee Coalition for a Just Peace
Rania Masri, Institute for Southern Studies
Ignacio Meneses, National Network on Cuba
Gale Murphy, Code Pink
Amy Newell, U.S. Labor Against the War
Kai Newkirk, STARC Alliance (Students Transforming and Resisting Corporations)
Efia Nwangaza, Not In Our Name Project
Baltazar Pinguel, American Friends Service Committee
Amy Quinn, Institute for Policy Studies
Josh Ruebner, US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation
Damu Smith, Black Voices for Peace
Bob Wing, War Times
Shirley H. Young, Military Families Speak Out
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>,