West Hollywood Gym

Peter McLaren mclaren at gseis.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 9 16:11:10 MDT 2003

Dear Les:

Interesting story...I have a similar one but I don't have the talent to go
into the detail you did.
-----
Working out at the gym in West Hollywood. Huge hulk of a man approaches me,
veins in his neck bulging, biceps the size of my thighs.
Him: Hey, you know who  that guy  on your shirt is, man!
Me: Che Guevara.
Him: Well, you know he was an enemy of the United States!
Me: Yeah, he was an enemy of imperialism, the US being the biggest rogue dog
of the lot.
Him: He wanted to nuke the US when they had missiles in Cuba is what he was
all about, man!
Me:  Well, as I recall he did say something to that effect to a news
reporter. But that was when the US was threatening to invade Cuba during the
Cuban missile crisis.
Him: Well, I dont know anything about that. [His muscles relaxing a bit] All
I know is that he wanted to wipe out the country, and you are wearing his
image.
-------
I did reveal that I had written a book about Che and started to expand the
context of the discussion...eventually he backed off when he realized his
remarks were  being expanded into a larger discussion,  and walked away.

ANOTHER DAY, SAME GYM
I interrupted a conversation in the change room where some guys were talking
about wanting to nuke the 'ragheads'. Turns out one guy was a Vietnam Vet.
He demanded to know if I was a Vietnam Vet and I said, "I didnt come to the
US from Canada until 1985" and he said that would be a good place for me to
return.
ANOTHER DAY, SAME GYM
My wife and a neighbor bumped into each other at the gym, and got engaged in
a criticism of Bush. A muscle-bound man on a machine right beside them
ordered them to go to a part of the gym where they couldn't be heard
criticizing the US.
I HAVE CUT DOWN ON GOING TO MY FAVORITE COFFEE SHOP BECAUSE OF SEVERAL NEAR
FIST-FIGHTS, BROUGHT ON BY MY WEARING A "NO BLOOD FOR OIL" T-SHIRT.
I can think of a few morals to these stories.
all the best
Peter