American Civil War

dms dmschanoes at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 20:15:25 MDT 2003

Reply to ML:

I refer the honorable gentleman to the original parameters of the discussion
in which Nestor G. stated that either I hadn't read Marx, or I hadn't
understood Marx on the Civil War.  Thus, after producing questions about
what Nestor means by the civil war being a conflict between Northern US and
British capital, and getting no answers, but only pedagogical instructions
to reread Marx, I thought I would supply the long extract in which Marx
enumerates the build up to civil war, the cause of the civil war.

I can leave Marx's name out of this, but I can't leave Marxism out of this,
whereas Nestor can't leave Marx's name out while he simply ignores Marxism.

So the causes of the civil war-- I listed them-- were in essence and
manifestation the conflict between the slave south and developing free
soil/free labor/free capital capitalism, with the territories being the
crucial element.

Who cares what the South thought about natural rights, and the British
sphere, since their actions were determined by their economic organization,
which they were mobilizing to protect, i.e. slavery.  And the history of the
Confederacy's appeals to France and England is the history of frustration
and little success, but more success with France than England, and no
Nestor, France was not England's stalking horse in this conflict, it had
it's own interests and agenda, but would not act alone as it was not strong
enough militarily, economically or politically for such an adventure.

Now their is no doubt that the British and the French were ready to pounce
on the divided Union should the North fail to turn the tide of battle
against the South, or should the North sue for peace. But that is not the
same thing as being the actual source of the conflict. That source is
clearly evident from the Constitutional Convention onward. That source is
slavery.  And despite Nestor G.'s assertions that slavery would have
survived if the "British had won the US Civil War,"
Britain itself had abolished slavery long before the US.

If anyone would like more info on the effectiveness of the blockade or the
actions of the French-- check out the Library of Congress website for the
following articles reproduced from 19th century periodicals:  "Domestic
Economy in the Confederacy" ; "Louis Napoleon and the Southern Confederacy";
and "Confederate Commerce Destoyers."